Elderflower alert folks!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower alert folks!!!!

Time to locate elderflower blossom....it's almost that time again!

My black elderflower is absolutely covered in pink flower heads this year-just about to open!
    Exciting times!

This is the recipe I use-but use baking yeast cos I've not got champagne yeast!
    https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes...derflower-wine
    Last edited by Nicos; 21-05-2018, 03:50 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Thank you Nicos. Do we wait for the flowers to fully open?

Comment

Yup....it's the pollen which gives the scent/flavour.
      Too soon and there's no pollen, too late and it smells like cat pee!

Just look for the amount of pollen

Comment

Here's a good link for ID..
        https://stayandroam.blog/how-to-identify-elderflower/

**Remember...if in doubt, don't use it! ( there are a few other shrubs/flowers which look similar

Comment

Rare plant up here, none in our village sadly

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            Rare plant up here, none in our village sadly
            Reading this thread gives me an idea. I’m guessing elderflower is a plant you forage rather than grow in your garden? In which case, would sewing a few seeds here and there (like the birds do) be out of the question / legal? Maybe in a park, a woodland, or next to a derelict building? Then you wouldn’t have to be sad..

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
              Reading this thread gives me an idea. I’m guessing elderflower is a plant you forage rather than grow in your garden? In which case, would sewing a few seeds here and there (like the birds do) be out of the question / legal? Maybe in a park, a woodland, or next to a derelict building? Then you wouldn’t have to be sad..
              It's a tree.
              I've got 2 in my veggie garden. Still very tight buds on mine. Another couple weeks, I think.

Comment

The blossom is very strongly out in London - and lots of it this year. Am going foraging on the weekend.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by mysteryduck View Post
                  No need to sow seeds - elderflower is a bit like willow for propagation - just cut a few shoots off in the winter, stick them in the ground, and 90+% of them will grow - pity it isn't better suited to be a hedge plant.

Comment

yes i spied the 1st few flowers on some here yesterday ,next weekend ill start looking too ,morning is ment to be the best time to collect the flowers not sure why tho ,remember its 50 heads for 5 gallons ,gl out there ,cheers
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Elder is one of my "weeds". Its sneaky, suddenly springs up and before you know it, its 6' high, like the one I spotted yesterday. It has to go.
                      Hate the smell of the leaves.
                      Somebody, ? Bob Flowerbutt, said you could munch the flowerheads on the stalk and it was like lemonade. (May have got that wrong!) EDIT DON'T DO IT - MAY BE POISONOUS!!
                      Anyway, I have done that but the earwig stopped me trying it again.
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 22-05-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                        yes i spied the 1st few flowers on some here yesterday ,next weekend ill start looking too ,morning is ment to be the best time to collect the flowers not sure why tho ,remember its 50 heads for 5 gallons ,gl out there ,cheers
                        Cooler overnight temperature should increase sugar content. Later in the day the sugar is turned to carbohydrate... i think!

Comment

Just found this....
                          "Pick the elderflower heads on a warm afternoon, when the sun has been on them for a good few hours and their scent is mild and musty-they shouldn’t be damp"
                          How to make sparkling elderflower wine - Country Life

And..
                          "Pick the flowers in full sun for best results"
                          https://delishably.com/beverages/How...ower-Champagne

Comment

There just in bud stage here we do have one tree that seems to flower first and that’s just started opening now but it’s too close to a busy road, I’m making elderflower gin instead of champagne as I’m always afraid of making botttle bombs!

Comment

I made some elderflower cordial over the last few days for the first time, let's just say I need to have another go as it was not that strong, maybe pick the flowers first thing in the morning and not in the evening

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X