Banana wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana wine

Has anyone else tried making this?? Bought 4 pounds of bananas yesterday for 80p and this afternoon made Banana wine - this is the second time I have made this - it really is delicious! hello

Originally posted by Issy View Post
    Has anyone else tried making this?? Bought 4 pounds of bananas yesterday for 80p and this afternoon made Banana wine - this is the second time I have made this - it really is delicious! hello
    No, but I might try. Can you share the recipe please?

Comment

Ok here goes:
      4 pounds of bananas
      1/2 banana skins
      100 ml grape concentrate
      1 lemon
      1 0range
      3 pounds sugar
      1 gallon water
      Yeast
      Amylase

Put the peeled bananas with the skins and fruit peel into a cotton bag - tie the bag and bring to the boil with the water for 1/2 hour. Pour the hot liquor over the sugar and fruit juice. When bag has cooled squeeze to extract as much liquor as possible. When this has cooled add the Amylozyme and 24 hours later the yeast. Leave for a week stirring every day. Pour into a Demi John with an airlock - you will need to siphon it off after 4 months to clear the sediment. Add the grape concentrate - leave for six months.

Comment

sounds great issy , bananas have always been somthing ive always thought about using hope it works out for you ,cheers
        The Dude abides.

Comment

Give it a go! I made it last year - one of the easiest wines to make - you will love it!!!

Comment

Amylase
            Going to have to look through my Alchemy box and ask Mr Googles to see what it is...

Okay ... Nearly as good as google, but from local wine store site... Amylase:-
            "used when making wine from vegetables like beetroot or carrots. It converts the large complex starches into fermentable sugars"

so has other potential uses as well as bananas

Think Issy may need to revisit "Easiest" Definition...
            9 months to a year for 6 bottles of wine to me needs to be special case
            Does using black bananas work?

Interesting. One to think about after the move and man cave conversion complete.

One think I do have is Demijohns. Collected my wine making kit from family and ended up with a boot load of them
            Last edited by 4Shoes; 16-11-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Recipe came from "first steps in winemaking". Every kind of wine you can think of - very good book.

Comment

well i have made mine but ive put a twist on it and used honey too
                2 kg of bananas
                1.2 kg og honey
                500 grms of sugar
                yeast
                ill see how it gets on hows the racking coming along issy ?
                The Dude abides.

Comment

Hello! At last the banana sediment is moving down the Demi John - as soon as it has reached the bottom will recant into another bottle - will post a pic when that is done!

Comment

i racked my banana mead today from a 10 liter fv into a 1 gallon demijon ,its abit cloudy but looks,tastes and smells good ,ill leave it 2 weeks and see if it needs another racking then ,cheers
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

The sediment seems to be moving - it was right down the bottom of the Demi john the other day and now it's moved up again- I really should have racked it but so busy did not get round to it - Tuber what did you think of the taste??? Hello

Comment

I racked mine yesterday so now left with about half a gallon of banana wine - its as clear as a bell and tastes really good !

Comment

Just bottled some banana wine last night and just for interest used the hydrometer to see the strength - it was saying fifteen per cent - this must be a fluke but it tasted really good!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X