No announcement yet.

rhubarb vodka (infusion)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reminder - I'm nearly out of the rhubarb liqueur/vodka that I made a couple of years ago. I used less sugar initially, and added sugar syrup "to taste" when bottling. I think my method was 'lots' of chopped rhubarb in a jar, 'some' sugar, top with vodka, shake a bit, forget about it for far too long, bottle (remembering to smooth out with sugar syrup). I'll try for greater precision this year if only so I can replicate it!

It's probably my favourite (although the blackcurrant is exceptional too). It is extra nice mixed with a can of the cawston fizzy apple and rhubarb, and I saw a suggestion once of having it with gingerbeer.

I think this year I might make one with a vanilla pod in, which will mellow it even more.

Comment

For some reason I'm essentially banned from spirits
      Infusions are my route back to the dark side so thanks one and all
      My timperly early is so darn prolific I need to do summat with it...
      sigpic
      1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
        For some reason I'm essentially banned from spirits
        Infusions are my route back to the dark side so thanks one and all
        My timperly early is so darn prolific I need to do summat with it...
        One of the ladies on another site does a rhubarb jam.

Food bank?

Comment

Streusel cake will get rid of a (small) bit of it.

This one was with gooseberries but rhubarb works very well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Streusel cake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2371869

I can't credit anyone with the recipe because this is how I got it.

I slightly increase the crumble topping to a 90/60/60 mix and use 10-12oz of fruit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gooseberry-streusel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2371870

There is clearly an error with the storage time.

Best served still warm, with cream.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is my vodka ready yet?
            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

*mops up drool*

Comment

I did all sorts of flavoured vodkas for Christmas presents last year - chilli was definitely the best, good winter warmer. Orange & cinnamon very Christmassy. Lime & ginger vodka makes a good mixer. Raspberry gin also very nice. Have some rhubarb gin on the go at the moment. I can't remember whether I've added any sugar or not, but for most fruit vodka / gin, I didn't add sugar until I was bottling it up (made it in large kilner jars) then made a batch of sugar syrup (50/50 sugar and water) and added it to taste. Added more for the people I know have a sweet tooth.
                Last edited by Mitzi; 05-04-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

is there any reason that a few of you add sugar later on in the prosses ? cheers
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                    is there any reason that a few of you add sugar later on in the prosses ? cheers
                    Sugar to taste - how do you know how sweet it's going to be at the start.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Just thinking...I don't know if I've got enough rhubarb in my (as yet untested) vodka. Is there any reason why I couldn't remove the first lot of rhubarb, then add the same amount again and rebottle? Would that enhance the flavour? Have any of you tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                        Just thinking...I don't know if I've got enough rhubarb in my (as yet untested) vodka. Is there any reason why I couldn't remove the first lot of rhubarb, then add the same amount again and rebottle? Would that enhance the flavour? Have any of you tried this?
                        No reason why not. I did it with cherries - after weeks, the vodka had taken the colour but not much flavour. I drained them off and put them in the freezer for later, then added a new batch of cherries to the same vodka. Later added the alcoholic cherries to home made chocolate truffles. Unbelievably yummy.

Comment

Having just had a wee test (medicinal, to numb the pain of a 12 hour shift in the new garden, honest) it definitely tastes of rhubarb, and the brown sugar is definitely noticeable too.

However, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it, so I'll probably have to have another one in a bit.

Comment

yeah i tried mine last night i didnt smell that good ,maybe i have done somthing wrong ?
                            The Dude abides.

Comment

hows everyones vodke coming along ? i havent opened mine yet, the rhubarb has turned green ,looks well and truly pickled and the vodka has a red tint to it ,i think thats how its ment to be ,any comments welcome cheers
                              The Dude abides.

Comment

Just putting a batch on to do - will let you know on Friday what it's like...
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X