Cider help anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cider help anyone?

This year, we've got access to loads of apples, primarily for jam making, however Mr OWG would like to make some cider...

Does anyone have a tried and tested method for this? I've googled and there are millions of ways to do it, but I'd rather have a recommendation then we don't ruin loads of apples!

What equipment have you got to extract the juice with?
    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

OH makes loads of cider. I bought a very cheap chipping press from Lidl which chops them all up into bits (cores, skin and all, just wash and remove the bad bits) but you can do that by hand. Then you do need a press really (if you have a community orchard nearby they'll usually hire them out but we bought one fairly cheaply on ebay) to get the fresh apple juice. We then brew usually the natural yeasts (100% success rate so far) so simply pour the apple juice in demijohns and brew out. Should be ready by Christmas and is usually quite alcoholic. Sometimes blend as the sweetness will depend on the batch of apples and the year. He has then made some bottle conditioned stuff but that's a bit more complicated.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

What types of apples work best? Will cooking apples work?

Comment

Preferably a good blend of apples if you use only cookers it will be to sour (to acidic ) to drink and not so much natural yeast if you taste your mix you will get a good idea
          Last edited by Shroomy; 14-08-2013, 05:41 AM.
          My Wifes Blog

Comment

We've made some with just Bramleys and it's fermented fine but I agree that a mix tends to work best. You can also blend following fermentation, we've just mixed a couple of demijohns this afternoon as one was a bit on the dry side and the other much sweeter (despite being the same alcohol content).

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Exciting stuff! Just won a press off eBay and can't wait to start... Loads of apples have fallen and we can't use them fast enough so there's lots left for cider! Will try and source some non-cookers from elsewhere to get a mix.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X