• Time
  • Show
Clear All

very easy!
    easy to stick to basic recipes, basic ingredients, basic methods

Comment

Rhubarb wine

Hi all,

I've been making Rhubarb wine for about 3 years now. I used to just eat it until a former neighbour gave me 5kg's of the stuff and trying to eat that much, even over a year proved too much of a challenge!

My wine is not plain Rhubarb though, I make Rhubarb and ginger and the family go mad for it.

Here's what I do:
      1.5Kg Rhubarb
      1.5kg sugar
      1 medium sized root of ginger (this is a personal taste thing, you can add more if you want), peeled
      2 campden tablets
      1 measure of pectolase
      1 dose of wine yeast

Chop the rhubarb into small pieces along with the peeled ginger and put in a freezer bag, place in a freezer for a few days. This helps expand the water molecules in the rhubarb making easier work for the sugar to get as much flavour out as possible.
      After a few days, take out the fruit and place in a sanitized fermentation bin with a lid, along with the pectolase and a campden tablet (crushed) and cover with sugar, put lid on and leave for another 2-4 days.

After a few days, take the fruit out in a fine sieve and wash the fruit, catching all the syrup. Pour the syrup into your demijohn as you would normally for wine and then follow normal wine making guidelines.

Takes a further 4-8 months when bottled to mature properly, if your hot off the press when rhubarb is picked then you might just get it ready for xmas, if not it will be perfect for the following summer

Comment

Great sounding twist on rhubarb wine, Richie - I will be giving that a whirl this year. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Samurailord View Post
          I used a recipe from John Wright, the foraging fella who hangs sround with Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall.

I was given that book, it's blummin' good, especially if you have a source of the fruit/veg needed to make the batches - it would get quite pricey if having to buy in the fruit.

I have tried several of the recipes and it is now my go-to book, apart from elderflower champagne, I use my Nanna's recipe for that.

Can't help with any rhubarb wine answers tho I will be reading replies with interest as I shall make some this year

Comment

hi all,yeah i enjoyed the book and would recomend it ,im thinking of doing a 2nd batch ,i got 3 gallons worth the 1st time and i`ve mentioned it to a few people and i think they`ed like a bottle so as ive not grown ruhbarb before i just wanted to know do i have to wait before picking the next lot ? and if i pick it all will it damage the plants ? fancy trying to get another 5 gallons,any advice welcome, cheers
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X