lemon barley water

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lemon barley water

ANy one know how to make it? Is it nice, worth the effort. I have some barley and dont want to through it away. Thanks
    Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Ingredients
    2 unwaxed lemons
    50g caster suger
    125g pearl barley
    Method
    1. Finely grate the zest from the lemons and place in a large glass bowl with caster sugar. Rinse pearl barley and add to the bowl with 1 litre boiling water. Stir well and leave to cool.
    2. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and mix into the cooled barely water. Strain through a sieve and chill. Serve with lots of ice.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

And a bit more complicated one:
      300g (10oz) pearl barley
      1 large firm lemon
      75g (2 1/2 oz) butter, chilled
      Icing sugar (optional)
      Bring the barley and 2 1/2 litres (4 1/4 pints) water to the boil, skin off any scum that rises and then simmer for 20 minutes. Draw off the heat.
      Pare the zest from the lemon into long strips using a potato peeler. Stir into the hot barley water with the caster sugar, then leave to cool. Strain and discard the barley and lemon zest.
      Stir the lemon juice into the liquid, taste and if necessary, sweeten with a little icing sugar, or extra lemon juice if it could do with a shot of acidity. You may even want to add a little more water to soften the flavour.
      Keep refrigerated, always serving your lemon barley water thoroughly chilled.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

In the bowl now cooling. Any idea how long it keeps for in the fridge
        Many thanks

Comment

The recipe doesnt say, but til it is chilled and until you want to use it, I would think.

Comment

I like the sound of the easy recipe :-) I always have barley in the cupboard ready to add to soups and stews. I am going to add this to my recipe collection, it will be great to drink in the garden with my feet up on a hot summers day, that is assuming I have time to put my feet up and we get a good summer :-) Thanks WW.

Comment

thanks for your help WW. Happy New Year

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
                In the bowl now cooling. Any idea how long it keeps for in the fridge
                Many thanks
                Hi Stella

Please dont forget to tell us how good it is

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X