Mice in wine!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added protien in brews

I visited a (farm) cider brewery in Devon and the owner was happy to say that the odd rat falls into the vats but it only seemed to help.
    I have never heard of it being done on purpose. I don't think there is enough alchohol in a cider or even a wine to dissolve meat.
    May work in a spirit, vodka or whiskey etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
      I visited a (farm) cider brewery in Devon and the owner was happy to say that the odd rat falls into the vats but it only seemed to help.
      I have never heard of it being done on purpose. I don't think there is enough alchohol in a cider or even a wine to dissolve meat.
      May work in a spirit, vodka or whiskey etc.
      I'm sure it happened in t'old days, but I wouldn't imagine there are many cidermakers these days who would be happy to leave their fermenting vessels open to exploration by rodents. For one thing, Environmental Health would take a very dim view of this.

It's not the alcohol that dissolves things in cider, it's the relatively high levels of Malic Acid in apple juice and cider.

Incidentally, cider is 'made' not 'brewed'. Brewing requires heat to extract the sugars from grain etc. Cider has more in common with wine making than the brewing of beer (or tea).

Cheers, Mark
      http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
      http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Headfry View Post
        I have on loan (by Authors Grandson) a lovely little wine making book by Mollie Harris and it says something like - if a mouse fell into the must- not to worry it would help things along.....
        and there is me making all things sterile like crazy!!!!

Thinks Mollie was also in the Archers

I love these little books (am looking after several books) - big thank you to kind friend that has lent them to me.

ps 'Village Christmases is current bed time reading ....again!
        She was based in Oxon near Witney
        I have "Cotswold Privies" a collaberation with Sue Chapman, many a happy little read(with chuckles and snorts of laughter).
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Dead Dog Scrumpy!

A little song by Mr Trevor Crozier may illuminate!

Dead Dog Scrumpy
          Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

thanks littlemark

When I last spoke to the environmental health section they were not interested in brewing or making as it is not consider to be a food.
            Happy brewing, sorry making.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X