Help in middle of making wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help in middle of making wine

Help I am in the middle of making my elderflower wine ( first time wine maker )
    The recipe I am using says to add nutrient do I need this as I havnt got any.

I have used recipe in C.J.J. Berry's wine making book

Elderblossom
    Sugar
    White grape conentrate
    Lemons
    Water
    Yeast
    nutrient

I have all the above ingrediants except the nutrient.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

I think that you do need it, Jackie - you can get it from Wilko.

Comment

U NEED the nutrient jackie, otherwise it wont work......go go go go and get it!
      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

What is it we dont have a wilko but we do have a home brew shop where I was told I had everything I need, and how much of the 5g of yeast do I add to 6 pints of liquid
        and ends with backache

Comment

1 litre elderflowers picked on a dry sunny day, free from stalk and green.
          1 pint white grape juice concentrate
          800 grams white sugar
          3.5 litres water
          2 tsp citric acid
          1/2 tsp tannin
          campden tablets
          nutrient
          sauternes yeast

Pout 2 litres hot water onto the flowers and macerate them wiht a wooden spoon. When cool stir in the acid, tannin and 1 crushed campden tablet. Cover and leave in a warm place, macerate the petals daily for 4 days.
          Dissolve the grape juice concentrate and sugar in 1 litre warm water and strain the flower water into the syrup.
          Stir in the nutrient and yeast, pour into a fermentation jar, top up with cold boiled water, fit an air lock and ferment to SG 1.015.
          Rack into a clean jar and add 2 crushed campden tables to terminate fermentation.

Comment

OK im going Im going lol good job its only down the road
            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
              What is it we dont have a wilko but we do have a home brew shop where I was told I had everything I need, and how much of the 5g of yeast do I add to 6 pints of liquid
              Sorry, Jackie - didn't realise (how do you live without wilko??) - give the home brew shop a ring to check. I think that you do need it tho'!

I'd use a teaspoon of yeast to a gallon (8pts) - but the quantity's not vital as the yeast will multiply to suit itself.

Comment

ask the geezer in the shop....................cos i dont know lol

Comment

AL's quicker typing!

Comment

NOOOOOO thats not the recipe I have. No mention of camden tabs.

Recipe on my first post on this above

Then

put flowers in bucket with sugar, concentrate and lemon rind pour 6 pints boiling water on them. leave to cool add lemon juice, tannin ( shop said I didnt need this but as its only cold tea I could add if I wanted to ) nutrient and yeast blah blah blah
                    and ends with backache

Comment

No Wilko

Cripes Jackie - you need all the alcohol you can brew - get to it gal.

Comment

Hmm, not sure I would leave out tannin if it is advised in the recipe. It gives balance to the overall finish. Deffo need the nutrient though. I assume you have a 5g packet of yeast, if so, bung the lot in. Same size sachet does from one gallon to 5 gallons.
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Right puffed out now been down into town again 4th time today lol got the nutrient so have just added that along with the yeast. God I will need a glass after all this will have to make do with pear cider lol. Shirl when would I add the tannin and how much.
                          and ends with backache

Comment

Apparently we have a wilko's in Torquay I never knew that lived here all my life lol Torquay is about 20 - 30 min drive very busy road.
                            and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by jackie j View Post
                              Right puffed out now been down into town again 4th time today lol got the nutrient so have just added that along with the yeast. God I will need a glass after all this will have to make do with pear cider lol. Shirl when would I add the tannin and how much.
                              Am I right to assume you are doing Elderflower wine (2)?

If so, you need a teaspoon of grape tannin and add at the same time as the yeast.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X