Home made 'cheats' Pimms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made 'cheats' Pimms

Don't know if anybody has already posted this (if they have Mods then feel free to move it) but I thought that as the weather this year isn't too bad (compared with last year anyway) people might want to sit outside and sip Pimms. The trouble is it is very expensive for what it is so here's a couple of amateur 'near misses' that work out cheaper. Even the one with Curacao works out less measure for measure. You just end up with loads more of it .

So.
    1 bottle supermarkets' own brand gin.

1 bottle of cheap Italian RED vermouth.

.5 bottle of curacao or decent orange liqueur.

If you want to save a bit you can substitute the orange liqueur with a bottle of cheap sweet or medium sherry which makes even more but does lack just a little of the zing.

Serve 1 measure to 3 or to taste with lemonade and of course you can put what you like into it, apple, lemon, cucumber, mint etc. Personally I make ice cubes with torn up borage leaves and (later on) flowers frozen in at this time of year plus a slice of lemon. But if you haven't got borage (call yourself a gardener? ) then cucumber will do.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

That's really handy, I think I'll go down this route, it'll mean we can have the basics sitting there and cheaper than the original....
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I am so pleased you posted this .. I cut it out of the Times the other day, and promptly lost the clipping

borage: there's some on the cycle path, aka Dogs Toilet. Not to worry, I hate Pimms anyway, I won't be drinking it
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 11-07-2009, 02:09 PM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you have an Aldi nearby, they sell a summer drink called Austin's which is near enough the same as Pimms. It is usually around a fiver but this week they have a special buy where it is under three quid a bottle!
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

@ Two Sheds. I've used this for years. You mean the 'Times' stole it?

@ Shirley. My best mate lives near Aldi in Scarborough and swears by them (I just swear at them . He convinced me to try the Austin's stuff. A bit bland and not very exciting. Worth about £3 a bottle. It's never seen a jigger of gin. I must try it mixed with gin.

>

Comment

Saraceniac, I love that you try everything as a mixer for gin
            There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Originally posted by LostGoddess View Post
              Saraceniac, I love that you try everything as a mixer for gin
              Have we met on another forum?

>

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                Have we met on another forum?
                AA perhaps?
                There is a war going on for your mind. If you are thinking you are winning.

Comment

Valentine made cucumber ice cubes last night, something like this:

puree one cucumber (peeled and seeded), 1/4 cup torn mint, a pinch of salt, one cup boiled water and a dash of lemon juice.

Pour the mixture into ice cube tray and freeze. Add to Pimms.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X