Creme de cassis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creme de cassis

Got loads of Blackcurrants I would love to make some Creme de cassis.

Does anyone have a good recipe for it? Ive looked on the internet and am now confused
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

2lbs. blackcurrants
    17 fl.oz. brandy
    11 oz. white sugar

Put blackcurrants in a large sterilized jar (one with a lid) and crush well with the back of awooden spoon. Put in the brandy (I use Tesco's cheapest) put lid on securely and leave in a cool dark place, shaking the jar well evey now and then for two months.
    Strain through a clean jelly bag for a few hours until all dripping stops. Sqeeze the bag really hard to get the last few drops out and filter liquid through a double layer of muslin. Put back in rinsed and dried jar.
    Add sugar and seal again. Leave in a cool, dark place for two weeks, again shaking now and then until all the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is clear.
    If you think it needs it then filter again and pour into sterilized bottles.
    You can drink it straight away but better if you leave it until the blackcurrants are ripe next year.
    (This recipe based on Oded Schwartz' recipe)

Comment

Thanks Polly, I will give it a try.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Ooooh creme de cassis, try it Polly'sway but being in France look for the strongest+cheapest Eau de Vie you can find, it doesnt matter if it is rough the sugar and blackcurrants and time will mellow it, there are available to you other options.... check out the homebrew sites, some sell "Turbo" yeast and a table top "Reflux Still" with instructions on use, 22 ltrs water+6kg sugar+a couple of bits and bobs and the "still" thingy ( for distilling water and essential oils only ) (according to the customs and excise laws here ) should give you just over a litre of 60% spirit, the eau de vie might be a cheaper option as the still is pricey ( £138ish )
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

I had to google eau de vie

I just bought some Creme de Cassis y'day - £3 for an ickle bottle.
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-07-2009, 06:36 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

hmmmm, and its not always good!!, a lot of the cheaper ones are a bit sickly and jammy tasting.
            Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X