X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by Pantrywine View Post
    You will need 1lb sultanas to give it body and umpphh and also yeast for it to ferment. 2 month is the approx fermenting time it usually takes. When bottled and left to mature it is a wine with a sherry taste up there with the best.
    You are replying to a 14 year old post I can't even remember posting. I don't recall trying it but wonder whether anyone else did?

Leave a comment:

• Pantrywine
    replied
    Potato wine

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    I was browsing through an old cook book from the 1920's looking for a Ginger Cordial recipe when I came across this. An interesting recipe for Potato Wine which is ready in two weeks!!! This is the recipe exactly as it appears in the book.!

Potato Wine

Strangely as it may seem, a very nice wine can be made with potatoes When potatoes are being dug, put aside the little ones that are too small for cooking as they answer very well for this purpose.

1/2 gallon small Potatoes
    3 lb Demerara Sugar
    1 gallon Water
    2 juicy Lemons
    rind of 3 Oranges

Time: 45 minutes Temperature: boiling

Scrub the potatoes thoroughly clean. If they are very small, cut them in halves, if larger into quarters, but do not peel them. If large ones are used, measure them after they are cut. Put them in a boiler with the water, bring to the boil, then boil gently for fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, slice the lemons and put them in an earthenware pan large enough to hold the liquid, add the orange rinds and 3 lb of demerara sugar. Strain the potato liquuor and pour it on the lemons, etc. Return it to the boiler and boil gently for half an hour. Then strain it through muslin into a pan. Leave until cold, then bottle and cork securely. It will be ready in a fortnight, but improves with keeping
    You will need 1lb sultanas to give it body and umpphh and also yeast for it to ferment. 2 month is the approx fermenting time it usually takes. When bottled and left to mature it is a wine with a sherry taste up there with the best.

Leave a comment:

• Shortie
    replied
    Cheeky Brewer

Leave a comment:

• Brewer-again
    replied
    potato stuff!!

All you would need to add to your brew, with 3lb of sugar is some yeast and you would end up with a very strong potato wine. Usual rules apply, might be difficult to clear with boiled potatoes. You could use it to make Poteen, must not say that AAARGH!
    Last edited by Brewer-again; 24-11-2006, 10:58 PM. Reason: crap spelling

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Potato beer maybe?

Leave a comment:

• Brewer-again
    replied
    Potato wine ??

Chemically it can only make a 1% ginger beer style drink and that is only if it can get infected with the correct wild yeast. I would guess that the origonal recipe said 'Cover the crock and leave to ferment' before bottling.
    Brewer is back

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Sounds good to me Snadgar. Wish i had that recipe earlier in the year. Spent quite a lot of time peeling my many small potatoes to use up with my herby potato and tomato soup as i could'nt quite bring myself to throw them out.Would have saved myself a lot of bother and would have had some nice wine at the end of it. Oh well, maybe next time....

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    It must rely on natural yeasts in the air. I can only summise the small amount of yeast in the air starts a minor fermentation in the bottles giving a sparkling wine? Seems a bit like a recipe for exploding bottles, but I think I will still give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    I was browsing through an old cook book from the 1920's looking for a Ginger Cordial recipe when I came across this. An interesting recipe for Potato Wine which is ready in two weeks!!! This is the recipe exactly as it appears in the book.!

Potato Wine

Strangely as it may seem, a very nice wine can be made with potatoes When potatoes are being dug, put aside the little ones that are too small for cooking as they answer very well for this purpose.

3 lb Demerara Sugar
    1 gallon Water
    2 juicy Lemons
    rind of 3 Oranges

Scrub the potatoes thoroughly clean. If they are very small, cut them in halves, if larger into quarters, but do not peel them. If large ones are used, measure them after they are cut. Put them in a boiler with the water, bring to the boil, then boil gently for fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, slice the lemons and put them in an earthenware pan large enough to hold the liquid, add the orange rinds and 3 lb of demerara sugar. Strain the potato liquuor and pour it on the lemons, etc. Return it to the boiler and boil gently for half an hour. Then strain it through muslin into a pan. Leave until cold, then bottle and cork securely. It will be ready in a fortnight, but improves with keeping
    No yeast?,I wonder how the sugar is changed into alchohol,and in such a short time.I've used all my tatties,but will try with the little uns next year.

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    started a topic Quick Potatoe Wine?

Quick Potatoe Wine?

Potato Wine

3 lb Demerara Sugar
    1 gallon Water
    2 juicy Lemons
    rind of 3 Oranges

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X