Best Home Made Wine Advice Tips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No probs darling.

My Wilko don't do brewing stuff, but we've ordered a Kit. Can't stand Chardonnay - but it was the 'driest' they seem to do, and, once I've learned, I can always give it to my Publican friend Richard.

I want the learning bit. Anything else drinkable, will be a bonus!
    Can I do less sugar and end up with a drier wine peeps? or am I just mad?

We had no rain here today. I'm hoping that the weather will hold out for me to harvest a shed-load of goosies this weekend.
    Let's cross fingers and toes. XX
    Soapy Sponge to the ready!!! Hey Girls!?!

Comment

I might be able to help with a few brewing questions as long as they aren't tooo complicated. I've tried a few youngs kits and they are good value,the blackberry one is yummy and quite easy.
      This time of year though I'm a hedgerow winemaker. Has anybody ever tried Elderflower Champagne? it's delicious. I made HFW last year - amazing!

We don't have a wilkos / brew shops by us so have to get my stuff on line. Try brewuk really good information on there.

Not long to go then miles of elder hedges just waiting to be picked clean by my gang of assistants all eager for their free samples of Champagne. Just realised I sound utterly crazy!!!

Is it the kid craze or too much home brew hmmmm.

Comment

No, you're not crazy, Dandy Lion. This is just the most amazing time of year, the start of the forager's wine season. Like you I can't wait for the elderflowers - some for champagne, some for CJ Berry's wine. At least 4 gallons! On second thoughts, visualising every spare bit of floor space taken up with bubbling demijohns, trying to fit in the fruit wines and all the odd things I try for fun, maybe madness does come into it!

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
          No probs darling.

My Wilko don't do brewing stuff, but we've ordered a Kit. Can't stand Chardonnay - but it was the 'driest' they seem to do, and, once I've learned, I can always give it to my Publican friend Richard.

I want the learning bit. Anything else drinkable, will be a bonus!
          Can I do less sugar and end up with a drier wine peeps? or am I just mad?

We had no rain here today. I'm hoping that the weather will hold out for me to harvest a shed-load of goosies this weekend.
          Let's cross fingers and toes. XX
          Soapy Sponge to the ready!!! Hey Girls!?!
          The Chardonnay was the one I brought to your bash last year Wellie. Don't change the sugar or you will change the alcohol content rather than the dryness.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

dandi lion and annachruachan - I'm with you all the way.
            I watched the HFW Elderflower Champagne TV Party, but for those that didn't, could you post a link to the recipe? I'm speshly going to be foraging for Elderflowers in the hedgerows (my noo garden ones won't be ready on account of them being severely trimmed back this year!)

And Shirley, I know you did darling, and I'm sorry, but I still hate Chardonnay.
            I'm a much much drier wine drinker - so with the kit, do I have to have it that medium? or can I adulterate it at all?!!
            Actually, why am I bothered? it's only the wine-making process that I'm concerned with.... Doh!!
            And this is totally shooting from the hip - but can you make Gooseberry Champagne, like you can Elderflower? and if not, why not?

Me thinks that I've got a lot to learn!!! and I look forward to it. X

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
              dandi lion and annachruachan - I'm with you all the way.
              I watched the HFW Elderflower Champagne TV Party, but for those that didn't, could you post a link to the recipe? I'm speshly going to be foraging for Elderflowers in the hedgerows (my noo garden ones won't be ready on account of them being severely trimmed back this year!)

And Shirley, I know you did darling, and I'm sorry, but I still hate Chardonnay.
              I'm a much much drier wine drinker - so with the kit, do I have to have it that medium? or can I adulterate it at all?!!
              Actually, why am I bothered? it's only the wine-making process that I'm concerned with.... Doh!!
              And this is totally shooting from the hip - but can you make Gooseberry Champagne, like you can Elderflower? and if not, why not?

Me thinks that I've got a lot to learn!!! and I look forward to it. X
              Not sure but I would think fruit wouldn't lend itself to the low-alcohol sparkling approach of Elderflower Champagne......
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Elderflower champagne is made very quickly and the only alcohol is from the wild yeast on the flowers. Not sure how goosegogs would do - give it a try if you have plenty.

When gathering your elderflowers, make sure they smell nice - apparently there are two varieties and one lot smells like cat wee and makes your wine/champagne yukky!
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Hope I've not got those Elderflowers then....

Comment

buy & learn about home brewing Recipes - Elderflower Champagne

Here you go Wellie

I've made this before and it is lovely. Tasted like Smirnoff Ice if you ask me.

Only days to go now before my elderflowers are out. Was speaking to a farmer I know a few days ago and he's got 200 Elder bushes - he is going to make cordial to sell - his flowers are all out already. He's going to pay gypsies to pick them for him!! Nice job eh.

Comment

Cool! Nothing wrong with picking stuff for a living! and thanks muchly for the link dandy lion - you're a brick and a half for doing that

I missed a telephone call on our noo landline today this morning, and it's EITHER my Wilko Wine Kit has arrived, or Trousers's smashed watch face has been repaired.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X