Any cider makers ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cider makers ?

Anyone on here make cider? Going to plant a couple of extra apple trees specifically for our cider but which ones....I fancy crab apples

I’ve made cider a few times but just with the peel and core of eating/ cooking apples I have prepared for the freezer so can’t really recommend any variety in particular.
    Sounds like a great idea!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I’ve made cider a few times but just with the peel and core of eating/ cooking apples I have prepared for the freezer so can’t really recommend any variety in particular.
      Sounds like a great idea!
      Ho hum....you might find adding some juice beneficial! We use whatever apples we can get hold of - our allotment site has communal apple orchards which provide most of our apples but they are all eating apples. We have a small orchard in back garden - Bramley and dessert apples.
      we then have a cider making frenzy - we wash and chop and discard any rotten bits then put them through a domestic juicer.
      We usually make enough for the coming year.

Comment

Making cider is a bit of an art, you really do need some proper cider apples, I have tried and whilst it was drinkable.............just, you would want 2 of them.
        Have a look at this Buy cider apples from the nursery. Organic cider apple trees for sale. (walcotnursery.co.uk)

Comment

Not really sure what quantities of cider you’re thinking about to make but last year I made cider by mistake. I aimed to make vinegar but put the lid on jar and ended up with delicious tasting cider.
          i used cores and peelings of eating apple. They were put in a jar with water and sugar.
          Will try to recreate my “mistake” soon 🥴

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            Making cider is a bit of an art, you really do need some proper cider apples, I have tried and whilst it was drinkable.............just, you would want 2 of them.
            Have a look at this Buy cider apples from the nursery. Organic cider apple trees for sale. (walcotnursery.co.uk)
            Westons make a cider Just using Katy which is an excellent Eating apple so it can be done but I guess they have a fair bit of expertise with the millions of gallons they make. I used to have a cracking little book that had loads of different recipes and was really good ... I don't think I have it now I think it was this one ...

Buy Real Cider Making on a Small Scale by Pooley, Michael J., Lomax, John (ISBN: 9781854861955) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Hi Burnie - thank you for the link to Walcot nursery.
              Apologies for not responding to your message before now - I missed the message prompt.
              However since I posted about making cider, we have reorganised our back garden and are ready to put in a few more apple trees - specifically cider apples. Husband has a list so will check Walcot out and now is the time to get the order in.
              Thanks also nick the grief - that book looks good and still available.
              We have made very drinkable cider - 10 gallons - and ration it out over the year. Certainly depends on a good mix of apples and each year is different.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X