Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    The brambles are flowering like mad here. With all the water still about the place, I'm expecting a bumper crop of juicy berries. Most year's they're dry and pippy, but would like to make the most of them this year. But, what I like more than anything else about blackberries is blackberry liqueur (crème de mûre in French). But the recipes I've seen online don't look like what I was expecting: essentially, crush blackberries and add wine and vodka or gin. Does that sound right?

Leave a comment:

• Shortie
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post

I made bramble wine two years ago. You can definitely smell the blackberries, but I'm not so sure you can taste them. I think the general "wine" flavour overpowers them.
    It's the same story with the elderflower wine (proper wine, not "champagne") I made. It smells of elderflowers, but you can't really taste them.
    Aaahhh, that's a shame. I'm sure it's still lovely wine, but I'd want to taste the fruit as well as smell it

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I used to make an excellent rhubarb wine, but it sets off the arthritis, so it's off the menu now.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by Shortie View Post
    Haha, how could I forget the rhubarb schnapps - I don't remember if I made any - I remeber I experimented with some flavouring of vodka.

OOohh Bramble wine sounds lovely... can you actually taste the fruit in the end result though?
    I made bramble wine two years ago. You can definitely smell the blackberries, but I'm not so sure you can taste them. I think the general "wine" flavour overpowers them.
    It's the same story with the elderflower wine (proper wine, not "champagne") I made. It smells of elderflowers, but you can't really taste them.

Leave a comment:

• Shortie
    replied
    Haha, how could I forget the rhubarb schnapps - I don't remember if I made any - I remeber I experimented with some flavouring of vodka.

OOohh Bramble wine sounds lovely... can you actually taste the fruit in the end result though?

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    Bramble wine
    4lbs of berries(ripe0
    A bag(kilo) of sugar
    1 lemon
    1 camden tablet
    1 tea spoon pectin enzyme
    1 gallon of water
    yeast
    yeast nutrient
    wash berries, crush them and place in a fermenting vessel(I have a bucket with a lid and a hole for an air lock) cover with 6 pints of boiling water. When cool and the camden tablet(crushed), pectin enzyme and leave for 24 hours(you could use a large bowl covered with a tea towel.
    Boil 2 pints of water and dissolve the sugar in it, cool to blood heat(no I don't know either) add to the blackberries along with yeast, nutrient and the lemon, cover and let it ferment for 3 days, stirring daily.
    Strain the liquid into a demi john and fit an air lock and ferment out. Finally siphon the clear liquid into dark bottles and keep for around 6 months before drinking.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Remember the famous Rhubarb Schnapps????

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...apps#post32508

Leave a comment:

• Shortie
    replied
    Ooohh, I'd be interested to hear the mixes etc. Mr Shortie and I very rarely drink so it's not something I'd take time to do, but am interested to hear how it works and favours etc
    Last edited by Shortie; 13-07-2020, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    started a topic Re starting home brewing

Re starting home brewing

I haven't made any wine or cider for ages, so I intend to do something about it, all the gear will have to be sterilised first then wine making begins, I guess with so much cheap booze about I have just got out of the habit of making my own. Carrot Whisky is one I've not tried before and it looks like there will be a good crop of Blackberries this year too.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X