Wine Making Ideas for Newbee

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Making Ideas for Newbee

I am completely new to wine making, but like the idea! I saw River Cottage on tv make elderberry wine - it looked so easy! Must try it next year ( too late this year).
    However, blackberrys & other fruits etc will be upon us soon.
    Has anyone got a simple, but easy, wine recipe that I could try please - with success guaranteed??
    Gill

If you want guaranteed drinkable wine in a short time, buy a kit from Wilkinsons. It is the best way to start as you get a 'feel' for the winemaking process.

By the way, the elderberries round here are still green - so not too late for elderberry wine.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shiley - will try Wilkinsons. Any tips for the basic equipment that I may need?

Gill
      ps meant to say elderflower ( not elderberry).

Comment

Wilkinsons do a kit for 20 quid - contains just about everything you need to make your first 6 bottles of wine - ready to drink in a week. The only other thing you will need is sugar and empty bottles to put the finished product in.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley - thats a great help
          regards
          Gill

Comment

Just looked on-line at Wilkinsons and need advise please......

Will the wine kit £6.99 - 6 bottles include jar/container to ferment the wine in? ie (you can tell thet I am a true beginner)! .. apart from bottles will the kit containe everything?? steraliser, corks etc etc.
            Also ,the 30 bottle kit £15.99 - do I need to buy the 5 gallon barrel with tap to 'store' the wine in??

ie........what other kit will Ineed please in order to complete the process??
            I am so keen to have a go.
            Thanks in advance
            Gill

Comment

They do a Youngs wine kit - 6 bottles in 7 days - at 20 quid which has the buckets and all you need except the sugar. The kits you have quoted have only the basic ingredients less the sugar and you would need to buy all the other equipment.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley....that sounds like just what I need!....couldnt see it on their site, but will hae another look now.
                Appreciate your help
                Gill

Comment

oop's forgot to ask...will any of the equipment in the Youngs kit be re-usable, or do I have to buy the complete kit each time?

Comment

The buckets are re-useable for making any one gallon wine or kit. If you then decide to make larger quantities of wine you will need to buy a bigger fermenting bucket. The kit is just easy to get you going - I bought one about 3 years ago and now I make all sorts of wine.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

It's too late for elderFLOWER wine this year - not too late by any means to make elderBERRY. They are still hard and green here!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm with Flummery. I missed the elderflowers. Watched them for weeks to get them at the right time then went away for a few days and missed the lot. My consolation was that I could attempt the elderberry wine but like Flummery ours here are still hard and green so I am watching them avidly. Unfortunately I go away again soon so just hope I don't miss out again. I eventually bought an elderflower kit and that turned out OK so I suppose if all else fails I could go down that route with the berries.

Comment

for making wine by the gallon you'll need at least 2 glass demijohns - one to ferment the wine in and one to filter it off into when it's finished fermenting.
                          It's surprising how many people have these kicking about in their sheds so it's worth asking about, or perhaps putting a "wanted" on your local Freecycle site ?
                          Apart from that, most of the kit is cheap and readily available - plastic tubing, funnels.
                          No need to go for "gadgets" too early on.
                          Milton or similar baby sterilising tabs are perfectly adequate to ensure all your equipment is spotless - never cut corners on this part.
                          Kits are a great way to start - as Shirl said, you get the "feel" of it

Good luck
                          and Cheers

Comment

Thanks everyone......silly question, but will I need the demijohns in order to make the the Youngs kit?? OR, is literally, everything I need ( apart from sugar) included?

Comment

The Youngs kit contains two one gallon plastic buckets and one lid - they are sufficient for your kit. When you make other wines later on, you will probably want a glass demijohn to ferment in as you will require an airlock (not necessary with the kit). However, the kit guides you through each of the stages of winemaking (albeit very quickly)
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X