Tinned Rhubarb wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinned Rhubarb wine

I was asked to post this recipe by lisa greenfingers - so here goes. The recipe came from a wine making forum I am a member of.

Tinned Rhubarb wine
    1 nutrient tablet
    White wine yeast
    Water to 1 gallon

here a cold water method is to be used or you will run into jellification problems, chop crush or mince the rhubarb, conserving the juice, or put it through a liquidizer, and pour the cold water onto it and add the pectolase, add 1 campden tablet. stand in a warm place closely covered for 24 hours. Then stir in the sugar and add your yeast and nutrient. Cover closely again and leave for four days, stirring daily. Then strain into fermentation jar, top up with water to bottom of neck, and fit airlock. Ferment out rack and bottle as usual.

NOTES
    I use 2 tins of rhubarb in syrup purchased from whatever supermarket you use. Watch out when adding the sugar - you might not need the whole 3lb. Your starting SG should be around 1.08, but I start it at 1.1 and ferment to 1.02 for a quite sweet wine which Madmax loves. Another thing to watch out for is that this wine turns out looking like water - make sure you label the bottles!
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Thanks Shirley, I might have a go at that.

I really like rhubarb wine and we have some lovely "real" rhubarb in the garden but it is in its first year so we can't harvest anything which is a shame. Still, it is comming on really well so looking forward to next year.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Hi There,

I am part way through making this - I think it is almost ready last sample I took was at 1.03 SG a few days ago. It is still fermenting slowly.

Can I ask a few questions?

Do you physically stop it when it gets to 1.02 SG by adding a campden tablet? Or, should I put it somewhere really cold to stop it that way?

Mine is looking rather like lemon squash at the moment - but I did pulse the rhubarb in the blender rather than bashing it - does this sound ok?

Once the fermenting is stopped, should I allow it to clear further, or otherwise do anything?

As an aside, I tasted a little tiny sip at 1.03 and it tasted nice then! I am hopeful that this wine will be very drinkable!

Thanks!
      Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Campden does not stop ferment, it stabilises the wine for storing. I personally don't often use it. You will have to be patient and wait for the fermentation to stop. I leave the wine to fall clear on its own - it takes a couple of weeks - then I siphon off into sterilised bottles. I have only ever mashed the rhubarb so can't comment though I recall mine usually starts looking like squash a bit for a while.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thank you Shirley.

Ah, my bad I must have read that somewhere and it stuck! Though most info falls out of my head immediately after I ingest it.

I think that it is on it's final pangs - I'll give it 2 clear days of no action before I assume that it is done bubbling and then stand it somewhere cool and dark for a couple of weeks to clear.
          Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X