Bottling home-made wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottling home-made wine

Hello! I am about to attempt to bottle some plum wine, I've dutifully saved some used wine bottles, but realise after buying corks etc that they are almost all screw-top bottles. Can I cork these?? Googling has given me mixed answers and some people say the bottle neck is a bit fragile and other say it's fine. Anyone tried it? Any thoughts??

Ta!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

I have put corks in them before with no problems, as long as the seal is tight and no air can get in.

Comment

i agree with burnie as long as its sealed from the air outside ,thats fine , do the bottles look flimsy or chunky to you ?
      The Dude abides.

Comment

I've never had a problem.

Comment

Thanks all, I think I'll just give it a go then! They don't look like especially flimsy bottles to me (just bog standard ones you buy full of wine ) so hopefully will be fine. I will maybe check one before adding the plum wine to check the fit though!
          Last edited by w33blegurl; 14-08-2019, 05:45 PM.
          If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Screw cap bottles can break at the neck if corked replacement screw caps can be obtained online from Inn House Brewery. I will be using them this year.

Comment

I've been brewing for 50+ years. To start off with wine was kept in demijohns, then corked bottles. Nowadays I put screwtops in sterilising solution in the bath together with the original tops. I haven't had a bottle go off yet.

Anyway the reason for my post. I started a kit off 6 days ago and it was very slow to start fermenting. It should have been racked off today for the first time but as I came down to a wine pond on the kitchen floor this morning, I think it needs another couple of days. I can't find my hydrometer so I have to play this by ear. No hydrometers when I first started. I'll wait until it subsides.

I'm waiting to start another kit off but don't have enough buckets until I rack this one. This is alcohol to get me through the lockdown. I'm not an alcoholic but a keen homebrewer and I do like a nightcap.
              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
              Oxfordshire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X