Orange wine and blackberry gin on the go

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange wine and blackberry gin on the go

I've just started a gallon of orange wine, unfortunately I didn't grow the oranges although I have got a few orange and lemon plants growing from seed.
    I also started a blackberry gin which should be ok for christmas.
    Rob

sounds different ,can you post the recipies pls
    The Dude abides.

Comment

Yep I filtered my blackberry gin yesterday and it already smells amazing and is a gorgeous colour. If I can keep the young Muck Lovers off it we will have it at Christmas.
      Today I picked a few rhubarb sticks for rhubarb vodka. Might throw a couple of strawberries in for colour.
      I’m thinking of keeping them under my bed to protect from predators.
      ( that’s my excuse for having liquor under my bed and I’m sticking with it)

Comment

are you talking about infusion here ML ?
        The Dude abides.

Comment

Yes. With sugar.

Comment

ok cool ,ive not had any luck with that ,pls let us know how it turns out ,cheers
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Hi tbl,
              Both dead easy.
              The gin, I like mine sharp not syrupy...Cheapest gin, 8oz black berries, 3 oz sugar in a Kilner jar left for a week then I squash the berries and leave at least 3 months, strain and get sozzled. This also works for sloes, I cut mine around the middle at first then squash. I like it better than blackberry, a sort of sharp plum taste.
              Orange wine.
              8 oranges, 2 lemons
              Zest both, discard peel and squash fruit, I use a potato masher in a wine bucket with lid
              Pour on 6 pints boiling water and leave covered for 5 days stirring at least once a day
              Stain off and heat slowly and add 2-4lb of sugar depending if you want a dryish or desert type. I do 2lb so it's quite light but has a kick.
              When it's cooled to around 70f add wine yeast and nutrient somewhere warm and after a week or so it should have calmed down enough to put into a demijohn with airlock. Top up to a gallon.
              When it has stopped fermenting bottle and leave for 3 months although it is nice after 6 weeks.
              Best place for wine stuff is Wilkos.
              Rob
              Rob

Comment

Rhubarb schnapps!...mmm!...brings back some very happy memories!

I like the idea of blackberry vodka. Never tried that -must go and have a bit of a wander along the hedgerows and get a batch going.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos,
                  I did blackberry vodka a few years ago, left it for 9 months and all that was left was a residue at the bottom, no pips at all. I'd never had that with gin, always pips left. Mind you the vodka was left over from my wedding 35 years before. Vladivar and Cossak. It was in my Ma-in-laws cupboard when she died along with Gordons, Martini, Cinzano and Bacardi. My Father in law was so tight he hid it away after the wedding.
                  Rob

Comment

ok great thx ,like i said i tried rhubarb vodka infusion and it tasked like cough syrup ,i wasnt impressed tbh but i have heard that done right it can be very nice ,i think i must have messed it up somehow ,thx for the wine recipie too ,ill give that a try
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                      ok great thx ,like i said i tried rhubarb vodka infusion and it tasked like cough syrup ,i wasnt impressed tbh but i have heard that done right it can be very nice ,i think i must have messed it up somehow ,thx for the wine recipie too ,ill give that a try
                      Maybe you should have rubbed it on your chest like Vicks.
                      It's one of the easiest and reliable recipes I've ever done, my other favourite is with pears from Portugal, lovely and fizzy but sends me to sleep.
                      Rob

Comment

Different varieties of rhubarb have different flavours....also depending on the time of year it's picked.
                        Maybe you were just unlucky ???
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X