Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 10
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gooseberry varieties

  1. #1
    Miranda27 is offline Germinator
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default Gooseberry varieties

    Anyone know a reliable source for old fashioned gooseberry varieties? Two old bushes given up and would like replacements... Hedgehog? Winham's?

  2. #2
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is online now Warning!! Contains Nuts
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    60,340
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Hi and welcome.
    Whinham's Industry Gooseberry is on sale in lots of places - Here's one at random https://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10567.html
    Make 2019 the Year of Random Seed sowing
    All we are saying is..........Give seeds a chance.
    @realveggiechicken

  3. #3
    Miranda27 is offline Germinator
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2

    Smile Wanted: second variety of gooseberry!

    Quote Originally Posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Hi and welcome.
    Whinham's Industry Gooseberry is on sale in lots of places - Here's one at random https://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10567.html
    Thanks for the information and found Whinham's Industry (ordered!). Anyone know any other old varieties that are still available?
    veggiechicken likes this.

  4. #4
    nickdub is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye
    Posts
    2,863

    Default

    The main problem with the old varieties is their susceptibility to mildew - if you can deal with that, you can grow some really beautiful fruit.

  5. #5
    Scarlet's Avatar
    Scarlet is offline O'Hara
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Just over the bridge
    Posts
    18,003

    Default

    There's some old ones to be found here
    https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/catego...oned+varieties
    veggiechicken and Norfolkgrey like this.

  6. #6
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is online now Warning!! Contains Nuts
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    60,340
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    There's some old ones to be found here
    https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/catego...oned+varieties
    ........including "hedgehog"!
    Make 2019 the Year of Random Seed sowing
    All we are saying is..........Give seeds a chance.
    @realveggiechicken

  7. #7
    chrisdb is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickdub View Post
    The main problem with the old varieties is their susceptibility to mildew - if you can deal with that, you can grow some really beautiful fruit.
    It's not been a big problem for me. I grow a few, including Whinham's Industry and Langley Gage, which are both older varieties, and I can't say they've ever had a serious mildew attack either in the old or new garden.

    Langley Gage, by the way, is the most delicious dessert gooseberry I've ever tasted. When properly ripe, the fruit are very sweet. Unfortunately the birds like them almost as much as I do.

  8. #8
    nickdub is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ross-on-Wye
    Posts
    2,863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdb View Post
    It's not been a big problem for me. I grow a few, including Whinham's Industry and Langley Gage, which are both older varieties, and I can't say they've ever had a serious mildew attack either in the old or new garden.

    Langley Gage, by the way, is the most delicious dessert gooseberry I've ever tasted. When properly ripe, the fruit are very sweet. Unfortunately the birds like them almost as much as I do.
    Probably partly depends on the summer weather in your area - I've tried Whinham's Industry here and it was hopelessly badly attacked by mildew, whereas I can grow the new Hinnonmaki Red with no problems. Some of the older ones are OK - I used to have a small yellow one (sulphur ?) which grew well with only the occasional berry affected by mildew.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts