Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 96 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 33 to 40 of 764
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The 'What I Did Today' Archive - 2006

  1. #33
    fiona b is offline Germinator
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    cheshire
    Posts
    13

    Default

    today i have lamented the state of our lawn!

  2. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Kent coast
    Posts
    334

    Default

    today I have turned my chitting potatoes up the right way, as I discovered I had them the wrong way up the the shoots were in the dark (oops!). then I looked for baked potatoes for dinner, but they were all shooting away lovely in the cupboard, so have decided to plant 3 of them as an experiment (sainsburys king eds, any tips?) also looked at kitchen garden, sleet came down, so came in again.

  3. #35
    sewer rat's Avatar
    sewer rat is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tain, Easter Ross
    Posts
    3,910
    Blog Entries
    51

    Default

    Today I emptied my two council supplied Dalek compost bins, and was pleasantly surprised at the quantity and quality of the contents - almost 75% is now incorporated in my raised beds, the remaining 25% is back in the bins. Checked the pH of my own garden soil and that of the topsoil I brought in to fill my beds - both showed pH neutral, though the clay content of my brought in soil is slightly greater than my garden soil. Moved two shrubs and some perrenials to extend my veggie border, dug it over and weeded it - had good time trying to follow the bindweed roots under the fence into my neighbours garden! Started to build a new log store. Got dark so came inside!
    Rat

  4. #36
    Jaxom's Avatar
    Jaxom is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cardiff South Wales
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Today I played Zoo Keeper with my worms and then shifted all the plant in the greenhouse around so that they get a share of good light.

  5. #37
    Patsy is offline Seedling
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Today was more weeding and possibly even more gossiping up the allotment. Those lovely long roots of couch grass are almost as satisfying when you manage to grub out the complete thing as pulling a long strip of wallpaper off when you're decorating. Judiciously edged the allotment boundary with all the perennial weed roots when everybody had gone home. It's either that or the council green waste bins,though I've read that as they're full of nutrients the best thing is to put them in a bag with grass cuttings till they rot down and then add to your compost. The roots not the council bins! It was a piece of advice on HDRA website. Anybody tried it?

  6. #38
    Geordie's Avatar
    Geordie is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Today was the first time this year I have been to my allotment .

    I handweeded 1 garlic bed, 1 winter onion bed and 1 spring cabbage bed. My neighbour forced 2 mugs of tea into me and a visit to the hut put paid to the est of the morning. Nothing like easing yourself back in gently!
    Geordie

    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure



  7. #39
    poultrychat is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    East Anglia
    Posts
    403

    Default

    Yesterday I inspected the garlic for any signs of shoots, I can see one but there are some signs that blackbirds have been doing the rounds before me, fingers crossed they are still down there somewhere, I would cover them with fleece but I only have one piece big enough and that's protecting the autumn onions, I'm hoping they are still there because these are my own garlic bulbs that I saved from last year and my 2 yr old granddaughter helped me plant them and I know her Mum is already looking forward to reaping the rewards
    Looked at the 8ft high buddlea that needs cutting back badly but decided I couldn't be bothered

  8. #40
    Jaxom's Avatar
    Jaxom is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cardiff South Wales
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Put some mung beans to soak. In about five days time I will have wonderful sprouts to eat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts