Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 88 of 358
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Potatoes Made Easy

  1. #81
    zazen999 is offline Funky Cold Ribena
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    20,557

    Default

    You don't need to chit mains, just earlies [ which saves space in our kitchen].

    I don't know about black tips to chits, have they got very cold at night? Can they be brought out of the conservatory for a while?
    Last edited by zazen999; 24-01-2010 at 04:51 PM.


  2. #82
    Alison's Avatar
    Alison is offline Gardening Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Warrington, Cheshire
    Posts
    13,249

    Default

    I kept mine in hessian sacks in the loft for about a month last year until I wanted to chit them when I brought them into the light. They worked great and I will be doing the same when I get my seed spuds this year. Note that you can store in the fridge but that would have meant I'd have had to take something else out the fridge so it wouldn't have helped.............

    Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

    Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

  3. #83
    chris's Avatar
    chris is offline < moo beans.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    10,229

    Default

    Thanks - just put the first and 2nd earlies on the window sil.

    My Main crop maris piper seem a bit soft, couple of them are a bit wrinkly? Are these on the way out? A couple others are beginning to chit already, so I've rubbed them off, and bunged them in the fridge... is this ok?

    Thanks!

    Edit: Oh yes, could I put them in the sacks I'm going to grow them in, in an unheated greenhouse in March? Not sure when the last frost is here, as I've not done this before! (only bought seedlings in the past!)
    Last edited by chris; 24-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.

  4. #84
    FionaH's Avatar
    FionaH is offline Hungry Hobbit
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Haslemere, Surrey
    Posts
    6,599

    Default

    March should be fine Chris. You have a while before they start showing leaves.
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

  5. #85
    Snadger's Avatar
    Snadger is offline Dundiggin
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Durham. Pink Panther territory
    Posts
    23,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrismarks View Post

    Edit: Oh yes, could I put them in the sacks I'm going to grow them in, in an unheated greenhouse in March? Not sure when the last frost is here, as I've not done this before! (only bought seedlings in the past!)
    You seem to be going to grow some spuds similar to a method I pinched off Tattieman?

    Its the foliage that will get frosted not the seed spud in the soil,so I am hopefully going to do the same as you.........but plant next weekend. It will probably be a month before they appear above ground anyway and if need be I will either cover the tops with soil or straw or shredded paper if they look like getting frosted in the greenhouse. Once we are past the last frost date they will go into their final position on the plot and should by then have a healthy head of foliage.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

    Diversify & prosper



  6. #86
    Sanjo's Avatar
    Sanjo is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hornchurch, Essex
    Posts
    1,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by binley100 View Post
    My potatoes are in egg boxes in the conservatory. They have got some sprouts which are about 1/2" but the tops of the sprouts look a bit black . Is this ok. Probably a daft question but never grown poatotoes before.
    Binley, is it possible they are not BLACK but purple? If the room is cool but not frosty, the spuds should chit slowly and they may well be green and purple and firm and they shouldn't at this time of year be overly long. Are they "squidgy".
    I have had mine in the past showing a very dark purple. If they are it's perfectly OK.
    Last edited by Sanjo; 26-01-2010 at 02:33 PM.

  7. #87
    binley100's Avatar
    binley100 is offline Gardening Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    under a rain cloud
    Posts
    10,758
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjo View Post
    Binley, is is possible they are not BLACK but purple? If the room is cool but not frosty, the spuds should chit slowly and they may well be green and purple and firm and they shouldn't at this time of year be overly long. Are they "squidgy".
    I have had mine in the past showing a very dark purple. If they are it's perfectly OK.
    It's too dark in there at the mo to check but tomorrow I'll put me glasses on and have a closer look. It doesn't freeze in there but does get quite cold at night.
    S*d the housework I have a lottie to dig
    a batch of jam is always an act of creation ..Christine Ferber

    You can't beat a bit of garden porn

  8. #88
    chris's Avatar
    chris is offline < moo beans.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    10,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zazen999 View Post
    You don't need to chit mains, just earlies [ which saves space in our kitchen].
    So I can plant these fine, at the same time as the others? The packaging advises chitting though.. which is why I'm a bit confused Are they old to be a bit soft too?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snadger View Post
    You seem to be going to grow some spuds similar to a method I pinched off Tattieman?

    Its the foliage that will get frosted not the seed spud in the soil,so I am hopefully going to do the same as you.........but plant next weekend. It will probably be a month before they appear above ground anyway and if need be I will either cover the tops with soil or straw or shredded paper if they look like getting frosted in the greenhouse. Once we are past the last frost date they will go into their final position on the plot and should by then have a healthy head of foliage.
    Wasn't sure what you meant until I traced back up and through that post & videos

    Yeah, I saw the growing bags I think in one of my gardening books, then I saw them in a seed catalog, and then in an offer in the GYO mag, and THEN on offer at our local garden centre, so I thought bugger it and bought them. 3 for a fiver I think - I thought i'd have a sack for each type I have.


    Also, this is probably a bit of a daft question, but is a seed potato, the same as a normal potato? What's different about them? - Just the tested disease resistance?

Similar Threads

  1. 6th feb 2011-eggs set!!!!
    By Snadger in forum Rule the Roost
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
  2. 5pm Sunset 2011
    By jbm in forum General chitchat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31-01-2011, 07:37 AM
  3. Easy Home Made Bird Feeder.
    By ginger ninger in forum Top Tips
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-12-2009, 12:21 AM
  4. Caribbean Cooking Made Easy
    By quark1 in forum General chitchat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 08:04 PM
  5. Have I made too much of a mistake with my potatoes in pots?
    By Marthaclematis in forum Vegging Out
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-03-2008, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts