Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 10
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A couple of novice questions!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    33

    Default A couple of novice questions!

    Hi all!
    I'm just really wanting confirmation on a couple of things in between cutting back the brambles I've been attempting to de-weed a little patch on the plot. I've been digging my fork in, pushing it forward then backwards & using my digging fork as a sieve then pulling the weeds, some of them are snapping, they're so long but I'm hoping I'll get the other end when I move to the next patch of soil? I got so many roots from such a small piece of land and by the end of it I was beginning to think someone was playing a sick joke on me
    Anyhoo I'm just making sure this is the right way to go about things? Once all the brambles cleared we will be putting weed membrane/cardboard across half of the plot and attempting to dig the other half.

    A couple of novice questions!-picsart_01-18-09.52.40.jpg
    A couple of novice questions!-picsart_01-18-09.54.52.jpg
    A couple of novice questions!-picsart_01-18-09.53.27.jpg

    Question #2 is about trees,
    I've found a few trees on the plot, one is on the boundary line so that can stay as is, the other two, one of which was nearly eaten by the brambles seem to have been plonked! They're in the way of where I'd like to put other things and I'm not sure what they are. Am I right in thinking if I dig them up and move them elsewhere now they'll be dormant and survive the trauma? Or am I best just getting rid?

    A couple of novice questions!-picsart_01-18-10.14.25.jpg
    Last edited by PotteringAtPlot12; 18-01-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    Can the Man likes this.

  2. #2
    greenishfing's Avatar
    greenishfing is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    You are doing the right thing with the weeds. It looks exactly like ours did when we got it. It used to take us an hour to dig and weed a 15 foot row. Roots on top of roots. It's couch grass roots.

    If you need to dig the trees up now will probably be the best time to give them a chance of rerooting. We gave away a smallish apple and pear and both are thriving several years after the move

  3. #3
    burnie is offline Veggie gardener
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Angus,Scotland
    Posts
    5,872

    Default

    You look to be doing well and the soil structure looks pretty good too, if you can get either compost or manure to put on top of the soil as you go that will both feed the soil and act as a mulch. Remember not to use manure where you plan to grow roots like carrots or parsnips though. Potatoes are a great first crop to have as well.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenishfing View Post
    You are doing the right thing with the weeds. It looks exactly like ours did when we got it. It used to take us an hour to dig and weed a 15 foot row. Roots on top of roots. It's couch grass roots.

    If you need to dig the trees up now will probably be the best time to give them a chance of rerooting. We gave away a smallish apple and pear and both are thriving several years after the move
    Thank you, I thought as much it took me about an hour to do that little bit, everytime I thought I'd got it all I saw some more, I'm sure there's probably still some of the little blighters in there still

    Quote Originally Posted by burnie View Post
    You look to be doing well and the soil structure looks pretty good too, if you can get either compost or manure to put on top of the soil as you go that will both feed the soil and act as a mulch. Remember not to use manure where you plan to grow roots like carrots or parsnips though. Potatoes are a great first crop to have as well.
    Thank you! From what I could tell in my limited experience the soil seemed fantastic, lots of worms too! I've goy some seed potatoes on the way, I've told the husband if that's all we get in this year I'm still counting it as a victory!

  5. #5
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is offline Warning, May contain nuts
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    63,267
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I'm going to disagree ever so slightly about what to do next - feel free to ignore me! Most people do.

    I'd not bother with weed membrane, cardboard, manure or compost - I'd turn that cleared bit into a veg plot and sow/plant something now! Onions, garlic, broad beans spuds - just do it. Don't wait until you've cleared more ground. The clear a bit, cover it up, clear a bit more, cover that up........Its a never ending circle that overlooks the real reason why you want an allotment - to grow food to eat. Once you see the first shoots of "food" it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

    Different advice with the trees - wait until you know what they are - once the leaves appear we can have a good guess - even the leaf buds will help identify them.
    If they're fruit trees they will have been planted there for a reason and you may want to keep them there. If they're self seeded trees that you don't want to keep, no point putting effort into digging them up and moving them as you may want to get rid of them anyway.
    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
    The 2020 VC Calendar https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...an_100505.html
    @realveggiechicken

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I'm going to disagree ever so slightly about what to do next - feel free to ignore me! Most people do.

    I'd not bother with weed membrane, cardboard, manure or compost - I'd turn that cleared bit into a veg plot and sow/plant something now! Onions, garlic, broad beans spuds - just do it. Don't wait until you've cleared more ground. The clear a bit, cover it up, clear a bit more, cover that up........Its a never ending circle that overlooks the real reason why you want an allotment - to grow food to eat. Once you see the first shoots of "food" it makes all the hard work worthwhile.

    Different advice with the trees - wait until you know what they are - once the leaves appear we can have a good guess - even the leaf buds will help identify them.
    If they're fruit trees they will have been planted there for a reason and you may want to keep them there. If they're self seeded trees that you don't want to keep, no point putting effort into digging them up and moving them as you may want to get rid of them anyway.
    Thank you, I'm only planning to put the membrane on the bottom half while we work on the top, I have some fruit & potatoes to go in when ready & plenty of seeds to start planting as I clear, it seems everyone does everything differently but it mostly comes good in the end. I guess it's just a case of taking a tip here & there and finding your own rhythm!
    I did think about posting on here for tree identification once leaves appeared, In all honesty the trees are messing with my plan, I'd be happy to relocate then remove at a later date if they're not suited, the place I plan on moving them to will (hopefully) eventually become a little rest area with a chair or two and some perennials..... I'll come clean and admit I had ideas of grandeur, bark paths, perfectly positioned beds even a little archway in the entrance with a plot 12 sign hanging within the first year, I've now reigned myself right back in & keep repeating slowly slowly, catchy monkey on an hourly basis. Haha!

  7. #7
    Gillykat's Avatar
    Gillykat is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alnwick, Northumberland
    Posts
    946

    Default

    I'm doing much the same at the moment as my poor plot has been neglected for a couple of years. I tell myself I'll dig for just an hour and it's amazing how quickly the ground gets cleared

    As to paths and arches etc.....why not! It's still the middle of winter at the moment so once the dryer & warmer weather arrives you'll be surprised just how much you can get done This coming week is looking settled so I've got a lot more clearing planned
    Can the Man likes this.

  8. #8
    SarrissUK's Avatar
    SarrissUK is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North East Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,229

    Default

    I'm a no digger, so I'd go with thick cardboard across the whole thing, once you've moved the trees to where you want them, then top that with any kind of compost. The compost could be well rotted manure, home made compost or any kind of shop bought compost. It's amazing how little weeds are coming through.
    Gillykat, Babru and Can the Man like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts