+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 9
- 21-04-2009, 03:37 PM #1
Why are there wasps hovering everywhere?
The damn things are everywhere at the moment, I cant even go out in the garden because they are darting from one place to another Is there some reason they are doing it?
- 21-04-2009, 03:39 PM #2
Are they really wasps? We have lots of hover fly things and also solitary bees which are slim and wasp-looking.Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.
www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring
- 21-04-2009, 03:43 PM #3
- 21-04-2009, 04:48 PM #4
There are quite a lot of queen wasps around at the moment. Just a few days ago, I was about to crush a queen wasp that was gnawing at some old wooden fence post. Then I remembered that wasps actually take away a lot of garden pests (caterpillars, craneflies <adult leatherjacket> etc), so I let it go.
When I end up with wasps making holes in my tree fruit, you can remind me that letting the wasp go might not have been a good idea!
- 21-04-2009, 05:13 PM #5
- Join Date
- Feb 2006
- Perthshire, Scotland.
- Blog Entries
If they're hovering over plants they're probably hover flies IgglePiggle.
They're harmless and they eat the aphids.
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.
- 21-04-2009, 05:48 PM #6Originally Posted by IgglePiggle
Hover Flies - All About Hoverflies
We've had some bee flies around in the past couple of weeks. They're slightly odd looking 'furry' things, triangular in shape with a long tongue sticking out at the front!
Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-04-2009 at 05:48 PM.Manda.
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower
- 21-04-2009, 05:48 PM #7
Wasps don't hover.
Last edited by Two_Sheds; 21-04-2009 at 05:50 PM.
All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.
"You don't need horsemuck, potions, sprays or packets of stuff to grow vegetables" ~~ me
- 21-04-2009, 06:27 PM #8Tuber
- Join Date
- Dec 2008
- Beds, UK
- By Maria Grant in forum New ShootsReplies: 4Last Post: 18-11-2010, 01:48 PM
- By HeyWayne in forum Weeds, Pests and DiseasesReplies: 4Last Post: 15-03-2010, 05:47 PM
- By Nicos in forum Wildlife GardeningReplies: 5Last Post: 15-04-2009, 10:39 AM
- By HotStuff in forum Weeds, Pests and DiseasesReplies: 10Last Post: 20-01-2009, 07:47 PM
- By Muriel in forum Weeds, Pests and DiseasesReplies: 4Last Post: 28-04-2006, 12:15 PM