Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 21
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: stung into submission

  1. #9
    Kier is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Chelsfield , Kent
    Posts
    191

    Default

    ok, I contacted the company from the link given and asked about the economy langstroth hive and they are cut with the same machine the only difference is the cedar is English not Canadian and may have a live solid knot or two but are otherwise the same thickness, on ebay second hand are Canadian cedar hives refurbed with two supers for 110 good condition , local to me
    Last edited by Kier; 11-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.
    Snoop Puss likes this.

  2. #10
    Snoop Puss's Avatar
    Snoop Puss is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Sounds like you're soon to bee happee!
    Spain is a big country: where I live, we get frosts, floods and snow, as well as raging heat.

  3. #11
    Kier is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Chelsfield , Kent
    Posts
    191

    Default

    I tried oh how I tried but, they are fascinating things , I now have 3last year bee colonies and hives and a large amount of bits inc a spinner /2 suits /2 nucs / feeders /50 jars/10 books etc
    and they are all over my fruit trees already

  4. #12
    vixylix's Avatar
    vixylix is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Congratulations Kier - I'm sure you'll bee reaping the rewards very soon

  5. #13
    DWSmith's Avatar
    DWSmith is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    ok, I contacted the company from the link given and asked about the economy langstroth hive and they are cut with the same machine the only difference is the cedar is English not Canadian and may have a live solid knot or two but are otherwise the same thickness, on ebay second hand are Canadian cedar hives refurbed with two supers for 110 good condition , local to me
    If by 'refurbed' they mean unused equipment that was returned and repaired then you're probably okay. I'd recommend not buying used equipment. Diseases can harbor in used hives to the point the only choice is to burn.

    Until you are experienced and know some reputable beekeepers really well I'd steer clear of used gear.

    Also, being stuck on the ear is probably the absolute worst place to be stung or at least very close to the absolute worst place.
    Last edited by DWSmith; 25-04-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    vixylix likes this.
    Nutter's Club member.

  6. #14
    Madasafish is offline Cropper
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Stafforshire Moorlands .. brr!
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DWSmith View Post

    Also, being stuck on the ear is probably the absolute worst place to be stung or at least very close to the absolute worst place.
    I can say from personal painful experience that being stung on the septum - between both nostrils is a LOT worse. Tears to my eyes job for 30 minutes. As opposed to last week's sting on ear - 5 minutes pain.. (But I am now immune to all but multiple stings)

  7. #15
    DWSmith's Avatar
    DWSmith is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    277

    Default

    When it comes to stings please keep in mind that one can become deathly allergic at any time. I've kept bees for several years yet I keep epi pens around just in case of an allergic reaction to a sting. All of my reactions have been very minor so far but please be prepared.
    Nutter's Club member.

  8. #16
    alldigging is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Chadderton, Oldham
    Posts
    3,626
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DWSmith View Post
    When it comes to stings please keep in mind that one can become deathly allergic at any time. I've kept bees for several years yet I keep epi pens around just in case of an allergic reaction to a sting. All of my reactions have been very minor so far but please be prepared.
    Were you prescribed epi-pens?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts