+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Thread: When to add my manure?
- 17-01-2011, 05:39 PM #1
When to add my manure?
Ive gotten my mitts on some well rotted horse manure today, i was wondering when is the best time to add it to my allotment, also should i put it on the top of my beds and let the worms do their magic or dig it inLife isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.
- 17-01-2011, 05:43 PM #2
I would have thought now is as good a time as any! Just don't put it where you are going to grow your carrots / parsnips - and where you are hoping to put lime down for brassicas.Whooops - now what is the dog getting up to?
- 17-01-2011, 06:29 PM #3Sprouter
- Join Date
- Jan 2011
- South Yorkshire
Like Jeanied said, make sure you think about which crops are going where. Spud beds will really appreciate the muck! certainly do not put where you are going to grow roots.
Also fruit will appreciate the extra goodness!
I generally leave mine on top (don't really know why actually, think it may protect soil from having nutrients washed away, at least if it rains too much then the nutrients from the much will be washed into the soil) but that could be a load of twaddle! lol
- 17-01-2011, 06:31 PM #4
All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.
- 18-01-2011, 02:48 PM #5
Thanks for the info guys, my beds are soft at the moment so i might put it on over the next few daysLife isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.
- 21-01-2011, 01:55 PM #6Seedling
- Join Date
- Jul 2009
I grow alot of veg in tubs and added 2inches of manure in each tub last week. Hopefully the worms will have done the hard work for me when I start to plant out.
Last edited by VJay; 21-01-2011 at 01:56 PM.
- By realfood in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 17Last Post: 29-05-2013, 07:29 AM
- By VirginVegGrower in forum Vegging OutReplies: 25Last Post: 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
- By afrench108 in forum Vegging OutReplies: 4Last Post: 30-09-2009, 09:28 AM
- By Terryr in forum Digging AroundReplies: 4Last Post: 23-01-2009, 07:17 PM
- By allotmentlady in forum Digging AroundReplies: 2Last Post: 19-01-2009, 08:12 PM