+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 15
Thread: Is it safe to compost Bramble?
- 28-02-2009, 11:55 PM #1
Is it safe to compost Bramble?
I'm clearing an enormous neglected garden of masses of bramble. Can I safely use the green stuff I've hacked back to start a compost heap?
The roots I've managed to dig out will be put out for the council's green waste collection.
- 28-02-2009, 11:59 PM #2
brambles are too woody for compost. better to shred and use as mulch or burn themabove the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!
- 01-03-2009, 12:18 AM #3Gardening Gnomette
- Join Date
- Jul 2006
- Near Skipton
- Blog Entries
No, they may well root and start growing, plus as Greendean says, they are very woody. Best to stack them to dry out, and then have a lovely bonfire. You can burn the roots of other weeds at the same time, like bindweed, dock, horsetail, dandelion etc., and the ash is good to spread round fruit bushes, or put in the compost.
- 01-03-2009, 07:28 AM #4
The greener bits of brambles will compost fine if buried under the heap for 9 months or so. I've done it myself and the brambles will completely disappear in a decent heap.
- 01-03-2009, 10:02 AM #5Early Fruiter
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
- South Wales
To much risk of bits rooting and they do take a while to rot down.
- 01-03-2009, 01:31 PM #6
Poor ol' bramble!
Oh you meant brambles!Manda.
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower
- 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM #7
Kill...kill...kill! I hate brambles as I'm struggling to get rid of them. So personally wouldn't trust them in my compost bin!
BTW my avatar is a butterfly on a bramble flower in my greenhouse last summer, looks lovely but gets everywhere!
Last edited by Gryfon; 01-03-2009 at 01:33 PM.Rachel
Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!
My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09
- 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM #8
- By CarolineW in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 29Last Post: 20-02-2012, 02:04 PM
- By gan heather in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 10Last Post: 20-11-2009, 08:41 PM
- By pol in forum Vegging OutReplies: 2Last Post: 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
- By screwbylil in forum Making the MostůReplies: 12Last Post: 03-09-2008, 11:29 AM
- By happyplanter in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 5Last Post: 24-11-2007, 10:20 PM