+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: Potatoes in the Shade
- 18-03-2008, 09:23 PM #1Seedling
- Join Date
- Nov 2006
Potatoes in the Shade
Running out of space to plant anything and all I have left is under trees in partial shade.
Does anyone know if potatoes need full sun or will they be OK?
cheersBefore you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
- 18-03-2008, 11:28 PM #2
I think I posted this about two weeks ago but my veg patch is tree shaded in part. Last seasons spuds were definately poorer nearer the trees, less foliage and poorer yield. It could also be that the trees were taking nourishment and moisture out of the ground and starving the potatoes.I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!
- 19-03-2008, 12:40 PM #3Seedling
- Join Date
- Jul 2007
- Maldon, Essex
I grew potatoes in containers last year and found they did grow in the shade but did much better in the sun when I moved them.My organic gardening etc blog - http://thecornflake.blogspot.com
- 20-03-2008, 09:16 PM #4
I think the trees will take too much water and nutrients from your potatoes. Have you got anywhere else you can put them? Even in a pot?
All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.
- 20-03-2008, 11:36 PM #5Sprouter
- Join Date
- Mar 2008
- Co Kerry, Ireland
I have a raised bed about seven feet away from a twenty feet high Leylandii hedge. The hedge is to the South-west of the bed, but doesn't actually overhang it. I dug a trench about 18 inches deep between the hedge and the bed, and I've successfully grown potatoes, celery, onions, lettuce and beetroot in that bed. Every year it gets heavy dressings of good garden compost (and NO artificial fertilizer). The only extra attention it gets is lots of watering. Hereabouts the prevailing winds are from the South and West, and the hedge shelters the bed from most of the rain.
- By BUFFS in forum Vegging OutReplies: 11Last Post: 27-07-2010, 10:32 PM
- By glut in forum The Herb BedReplies: 3Last Post: 27-03-2009, 04:04 PM
- By Tigerella in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 3Last Post: 05-04-2008, 07:52 AM
- By margotay in forum The Herb BedReplies: 9Last Post: 31-03-2008, 10:34 PM
- By peanut in forum New ShootsReplies: 2Last Post: 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM