+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 71
- 27-06-2009, 06:58 PM #1
pinching out runner bean tip?
it says in the hessayan veg and herb book to pinch out the runner bean growing tip when it reaches the top of the wigwam.. does anyone else do this? wanted to ask before i took the tip off and killed it
- 27-06-2009, 07:03 PM #2
Yep........it forces the plant to put out sideshoots as well as keeping it tidy!My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)
Diversify & prosper!
- 27-06-2009, 07:06 PM #3
- 27-06-2009, 07:14 PM #4
- Join Date
- Mar 2007
- Blog Entries
I've found if I leave the runners until the reach the tops of the canes they carry on growing about another 6 inch, so now I pinch them out when they're a few inches from the top.
- 27-06-2009, 08:41 PM #5
I'm experimenting by pinching out all my beans at about 2', and then I'll do so again at about 4'.Hazel
Hazel at the Hill blog
update - Sunday 17/05/2015
Plant Sale, Poor Service and Planting Out
- 27-06-2009, 08:41 PM #6Banned
- Join Date
- Feb 2007
- Petworth. West Sussex
Yes , I agree nip em off now. as Snadger says...they get bushier. I used to make the mistake of being too soft! then end up with the whole lot dangling down like hanging gardens of babylon ....can't find the beans etc.
I agree, pinch the tips to stop them growing so they put more effort into making flowers
- 28-06-2009, 07:38 PM #8
- By Professor Peabody in forum Vegging OutReplies: 7Last Post: 26-07-2010, 08:03 PM
- By kerryp in forum Vegging OutReplies: 7Last Post: 27-04-2010, 09:05 PM
- By Liza in forum Vegging OutReplies: 12Last Post: 25-04-2010, 03:30 PM
- By Sonata in forum Vegging OutReplies: 1Last Post: 26-05-2009, 06:47 AM
- By hollow101 in forum Vegging OutReplies: 16Last Post: 14-08-2006, 12:44 PM