+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Thread: Broad Beans/Frost Damage
- 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM #1
Broad Beans/Frost Damage
I have some broad beans in pots that I started off indoors, I hardened them off as kindly advised on here and they have been outside for about 2 weeks. Last night we had a frost and I think my broad beans may have been damaged. The stems looked a bit frozen first thing but seem to have thawed out now the sun is on them. What should I do?
- 05-04-2006, 10:21 AM #2Early Fruiter
- Join Date
- Sep 2005
They should be fine. Broad beans are relatively frost hardy it's severe frosts that they can't cope with.[
- 05-04-2006, 12:25 PM #3
I agree they should perk up again but if you are worried if there is a hard frost forecast you could just pop a few sheets of newspaper over them at night & uncover them first thing in the morning.Into every life a little rain must fall.
- 05-04-2006, 01:04 PM #4
thanks, might have to invest in some fleece as one variety is quite tall already
- 08-04-2006, 06:49 AM #5Originally Posted by SueA
- 08-04-2006, 09:39 AM #6
You could wrap the paper around the pot & cane & sticky tape the edges together to make a tube around each plant then sticky tape another piece over the top to make a lid & then just slide them on & off as you need to.Into every life a little rain must fall.
- 08-04-2006, 09:45 AM #7Originally Posted by SueA
- 08-04-2006, 06:44 PM #8
Frost DamageOriginally Posted by Kimbo
- 08-04-2006, 06:54 PM #9Originally Posted by Kimbo
and will you be making compost bins from your pallets, Val?
- 08-04-2006, 07:01 PM #10
I have two large daleks already thankfully. I am thinking of going into the "hat" business as a sideline
- By supraflyguy in forum Vegging OutReplies: 19Last Post: 06-03-2011, 10:05 AM
- By gojiberry in forum Vegging OutReplies: 3Last Post: 12-05-2010, 10:01 PM
- By Brengirl in forum General chitchatReplies: 2Last Post: 21-03-2010, 01:21 PM
- By king kevin in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 6Last Post: 21-05-2008, 03:59 PM
- By mandyballantyne in forum Vegging OutReplies: 14Last Post: 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM