Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evil veg

Just for fun

I grew up with a big veg plot my mother tended, on which she eventually grew almost nothing but kale and leeks. This was because they were the only things the slugs wouldn't eat!
    I told her 'so, even the slugs won't touch them, but I have to?!'
    She'd tried lettuces, beans, carrots and potatoes, but they were all destroyed, whilst the kale and leeks stood dark and silent like the armies of Mordor, unassailable and terrifying.....

I probably will never ever plant a leek. Kale I will, because it looks nice especially the purple ones, but I won't be eating it. Unless I grow it as microgreens. I remember having to sit at the table until I ate the dratted stuff all up; she'd boil the giant leaves whole and dump them on the plate where they instantly went cold and soggy....and now and then I'd find some extra protein in the form of a woodlouse......
    And as for the leeks...!

Does anyone else have a veg nemesis?

Cauliflower, really can't enjoy it however it is presented, just about manage piccalilli, the green Romanesc I can just about manage.

Comment

My nan used to make my dad drink the water from boiled cabbage when he was a kid.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Broad beans. Yuk! I first had them at school dinners and found them revolting. This was in the days of no choice of meal and eat everything up. It was the only thing I really hated as a child and still do. I let my husband talk me into growing some in the allotment one year as he tried to convince me that young homegrown ones would be nice. He ate them. I did try them once but never again.

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
          My nan used to make my dad drink the water from boiled cabbage when he was a kid.
          I still do

Comment

When I was a kid about the only veg I would eat were petit pois.

Then my veg palate expanded exponentially.

I don't think there's anything I won't eat now. And leeks and kale are two of my favourites!!!

I'm a bit more cagey with fruit. I like slices of crisp apple, but the sensation of biting into one I find very off-putting. Love the berries and grapes, but hate the faff of an orange. Really not fond of kiwi fruit.

Comment

There are a probably loads of veg I haven’t yet tried - my cooking is very English/European in style, as that’s what I learned from my parents.
              My personal veg nemeses are mushy peas (never liked the texture), and dried peas that have been boiled for a good hour in very salty water (at least one heaped tablespoon for 5 servings) - as a child I was instructed to be polite, but mum and dad were unusually forgiving if I left a few on my plate !

Comment

My Mum used to put the sprouts on to boil the same time as the spuds, with a block of bicarb in the water to retain some of the green. Us kids were then offered the dubious choice of eating the soft, pappy veg (that tasted of coppery pennies) or drinking the water that (we were told) contained most of the vitamins.
                I always opted for the veg and avoided gagging by drowning it in malt vinegar.
                I don't mind an occasional stir-fried sprout but it's never going to be my go-to veg.
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I’m with burnie, cauliflower! Don’t like eating it in any way shape or form and can’t grow it.
                  Also broad beans, sweet corn not a fan.

Comment

Brussels for me, and for some reason not that keen on calabrese although I love PSB. Ocra is a horrible slimy devil which doesn't deserve the name of vegetable......
                    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

ah yes, the vitamin veg water...! Luckily I didn't have to drink that, it got made into gravy.

I love mushy peas (and all forms of beans and legumes), my son calls broad beans 'fat beans' and won't have them. All the more for me then!

And I actually like sprouts. I fry mine in bacon fat, with some lardons, orange zest and flaked almonds, for Christmas.

Comment

I didn't particularly enjoy broad beans as a kid ...until I realised you could remove the hard skin on them !
                        Not overkeen on the furryness of ocra either.
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Celery for me, people tell me it doesn't taste of anything but it does, it tastes of urrrgggghhhh.

Comment

I love all veg so long as its not overcooked, I'd rather eat raw veg than soggy mush
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X