Aphids on alliums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphids on alliums

No matter which allium I plant (chives, welsh onions, babbington's leek, ornamentals, etc.) they get covered in black aphids - I always thought they were supposed to deter the pesky critters!

I grow mine in pots mostly 50:50 sand and compost - thought that might be the problem, but visited Chelsea Physic Gardens 3 weeks ago and some of theirs were covered when planted in the ground.

Is it ant farming? Have I been cursed by the aphid god?

PS The chives tend to weaken and die off.

Any hints / tips gratefully received!

You have been cursed!

This is a particularly bad year for aphids I think. I've never seen so much black fly .

Can you just try dislodging them with some water from a hose?

Comment

To make you feel better:

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0CDCE39-6CD0-4D3E-BC26-1B11388C5B92.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2384203

I washed them off and they look much better today.

Comment

Same here Goldcrest. Chives have almost bit the dust and spring onions in cells have been consigned to the compost.
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Were you a ladybird in a previous life

Comment

Afraid to tempt fate but I havnt seen any of these yet this year.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

It seems a good year for invertebrates in general. I'm noticing a lot more zebra back spiders, ladybirds and leaf beetles than usual - and, yes, aphids on my alliums and blackfly on my rhubarb. But not one sawfly larva on my gooseberries!
              Last edited by Trouvere; 19-06-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

A large aphid population makes ladybirds want to mate otherwise they’d fly off. We’re making some creatures really happy with our aphid selection. When I see aphids there’s also ladybird nymphs on the fruit tree & plants so I haven’t done any squashing,some leaves are curled but it’s alright,ladybirds are sorting it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trouvere View Post
                  But not one sawfly larva on my gooseberries!
                  Im not bothered about sawfly this year - blackbirds ate every single one!
                  Pigeons have had every currant - they normally leave the black ones but not this year

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                    A large aphid population makes ladybirds want to mate otherwise they’d fly off. We’re making some creatures really happy with our aphid selection. .
                    Actually I've never seen so many yellow ladybirds. Huge amounts this year.

Comment

I saw some two-spot ladybirds mating earlier this year. They have been pretty rare down here, all I normally see are harlequins.

The aphids in my garden are losing the battle to the ant lions now. Good to see.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I've tried water-blasting with the larger plants but my chives are really weedy - although I am having strong words with them - is this known as chive talkin' ?

Or ah, ha, ha, bein' a chive, keep stayin' alive, ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' ali-iii-iii-iive?

Anyway, here's the plan:
                        1. Buy / plant some more
                        2. Move them off the sunny patio (read somewhere they don't like heat)
                        3. Frustrate the ants

Will report if this works - thanks for the answers!
                        Last edited by Goldcrest; 20-06-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Aphid / chive update: It's the ants!

4 pots: 1 patio next to ant stop, 1 patio no ant stop, repeated in borders
                          Both ant stops fine, border better growth than patio (cooler)?, no ant stop patio - died, no ant stop border - couple of aphids but washable ...

Go on ant go, walk out the door, just turn around now, you're not welcome any more .... the chives survive ...

Comment

"Don't stop me now, as I'm having such a good chive................"

Glad you've found out who the culprits are and how to stop their ant-ics.

Comment

You're the ant I don't want, oo oo, oo oo ooo honey ......

Or if I lived further east and was in a hurry it would be:

Murder of the Ori-ant Express boom,boom :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X