New clematis going downhill

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New clematis going downhill

I purchased this clematis (warszawska ****) in a very healthy state from my excellent local nursery. I planted it at the correct depth, watered and so far it has been looking sickly with some aphid trouble around the flower stems and leaves which are rubbed off daily. Unfortunately something ate through the flower head before it opened so I cut it off to encourage new shoots. Unfortunately the new shoots are coming up with blackened, sickly looking edges.

The nursery said that they have enough food to keep them going for some time in the compost they are potted in. Other clematis I bought from there are doing fine. It is in the shade as the label does state that it can be grown in shade. Sprinkled a little chicken manure pellets around the top to help it a couple of days ago. Also sprayed the leaves with organic seaweed when I did the whole garden a week ago.

What could be wrong, and what can I do to give it a boost ? Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Clematis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	2407405

I wouldn't worry - looks fine to me - a bit of slug damage to the lower leaves probably. Obviously give it another water if the weather stays dry.

A couple of points, irrelevant now for you, but maybe of some help to others :-

1) Its a good idea to plant clematis deeper than they were when in the pot - this is different to most other plants.

When planting against a stone or brick wall, if at all possible, put the roots at least 1' away from the wall base - more is better - this is because of the rain shadow effect - then the top growth for a climber can be trained back almost horizontally until it gets to the wall.

Comment

Thanks. You make me feel better now.

Comment

You're very welcome - looks like it will be a lovely plant - I'm very fond of clematis, unfortunately so are the deer which visit my garden.

Happy Gardening :-)

Comment

I’ve got a few clematis. One took off straight away. Second one looked great for a bit then struggled then recovered. The final one have been sickly looking for two years I’d almost given up on it but this year it’s absolutely fantastic. So in my limited experience they can be a bit fickle but normally survive.

Come to think of it I’ve remembered that my brothers one in his previous garden was eaten by his dog down to the ground he then put membrane down and wood chips. I was weeding the next year and discovered it just poking through having grown a massive stem under the matting in the dark, was pale looking when I pulled it out but grew and flowered.

So they are pretty hardy characters I think.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't be worried about that plant - it looks healthy and glossy leaves. It does usually take a year or two to establish properly before you get a decent show.
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

if seeing the bare twiggy bits on got you worried about it,do not,it is fine,as has been said,looks a lovely healthy plant,and my one is only just taking of after about 3 years,and it has no special treatment at all.
              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Yes,as said already it looks fine. Some new clemetis plants do seem to struggle a bit when first planted. It's probably just settling in. No doubt it's putting a lot of effort below ground too so when established it will concentrate on what's above ground. Even if it gives a poor performance this year it will probably come back with gusto next year. That's happened to mine before.

Comment

What I don't understand is how clematis (2 so far) that have grown healthy for a few years suddenly pop their clogs and completely die for no reason. Also, a rambling rose did the same this year. Cut it back early spring and no new shoots emerged.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                    What I don't understand is how clematis (2 so far) that have grown healthy for a few years suddenly pop their clogs and completely die for no reason. Also, a rambling rose did the same this year. Cut it back early spring and no new shoots emerged.
                    The trouble often lies low down either at or below soil level, so you need to have a look at that part to try to assign a reason. I have seen them killed buy slugs eating the outsides of the shoots off at ground level, they also come down with a disease sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                      Clematis can be affected by something called clematis wilt which is a fungal infection which can enter the plant when a stem has been damaged and it can hit clematis plants of any age, as for the roses there are several things which can cause them to die but possibly one probable cause is when planting, the roots are not spread out and continue to go round in a circle as they were doing when in a pot and they eventually run out of steam, this cause by the way can effect any plant which has been grown in a pot
                      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Well the plant has not grown 1 mm since my last post. The leaves still look green, keeping watered when dry but no new shoots. Almost mummified flower heads.

Comment

Are you still putting poultry manure on everything Marb? if so you could be poisoning the plants with too high a nitrogen level.

"Too Leafy
                          Plants that receive too much nitrogen may give off the appearance that they are healthy and thriving by producing lots of new, leafy growth. However, this new growth is often weak, soft and sappy, which makes the plant attractive to various pests and unable to sustain the stress of drought. And if the plant is aromatic, it loses much of its fragrance.

No Fruit or Flowers
                          Although a plant receiving a lot of nitrogen has a plethora of new, leafy foliage, there is often only foliage. It's difficult for fruit and flowers to grow when there is too much nitrogen in the soil. Fruit that does grow is distorted or doesn't ripen properly, while flower buds fall off or are disfigured if they do bloom.

Weak Structure
                          A balanced amount of nitrogen creates a strong, sturdy plant; however, when applied in excess, the reverse happens. Too much nitrogen causes plants to become spindly with frail stems. As the foliage continues to grow abundantly, the weak stems become less able to support the plant. Additionally, root growth is stunted, which leads to even less plant support. Eventually, the plant dies because it can no longer support itself.

Bitter-Tasting Crops
                          When a plant has too much nitrogen, the nitrogen blocks other nutrients from being absorbed by the plant. When a plant can't absorb the proper amounts of necessary nutrients, it alters the sugar and vitamin content in the plant. The result is bitter-tasting fruits and vegetables that are high in nitrogen.

Leaf Burn
                          Excessive amounts of nitrogen burn the plant and damage the leaves. Burn is caused by dehydration of the roots and crown that cause the foliage to turn brown or yellow. Nitrogen plant burn doesn't have to occur immediately. Burn symptoms may not show until a few weeks after fertilizing."
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

In the picture it looks very wet where it is and if it is not sheltered will have had loads of water lately - and more forecast so could be water logged? I wouldn't do anything more now except try to shelter from the rain and in July, if it has not perked up (or died), I'd take a couple of internodal cuttings ( a piece of stem cut half way between leaves so you end up with 2 leaves and an inch or 2 of stem either side), push into compost, plastic bag over the top and on window-ledge out of sun. They are very easy to propogate. Monty Don has a short video.

Comment

Not feeding with chicken manure. Its a dry spot against the wall that doesn’t get rain as it is sheltered.
                              Last edited by Marb67; 10-06-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X