Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape vine for outdoors needed

Hi
    I'm looking to buy a grapevine for growing outdoors in my garden.
    The garden is south facing and I have a spot allocated for this.
    I require a blue or black grape for eating which has exceptional taste and which is mainly seedless, also something which is supplied at a minimum of 1.2m in height.
    I dug up two Moscatels from my allotment but these didn't like being transferred and died; no ideal what went wrong here.
    Looking to buy immediately.
    Thanks

Any grapevine is going to be a bit of a gamble with the weather in terms of getting it to fruit - they will grow OK as they are perfectly hardy, its just getting the fruit to ripen early enough which is the problem most years.

Comment

Glory of Boskoop has been quite a reliable fruiter for me in Nottingham, and it is a dark grape. The only issue is that it's seeded.

To be honest, I'm not aware of any good outdoor grape for the Midlands or north that's seedless. The list of possibilities is pretty short without a warm wall, very sheltered location, or greenhouse to grow in.

Comment

Theres a list of seedless grapes here. I ordered ‘Vanessa’ last year. Cant comment on how it will fruit up north yet.

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/..._Grapes_Vines/

Comment

The OP has very specific needs - including a vine that is a minimum of 1.2m tall! That's a lot taller than all the vines I've seen for sale.
          Add to that it being blue/black, exceptional taste/ seedless/ outdoors and available immediately .

Good luck, John, finding one that ticks all your boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
            Any grapevine is going to be a bit of a gamble with the weather in terms of getting it to fruit - they will grow OK as they are perfectly hardy, its just getting the fruit to ripen early enough which is the problem most years.
            Mine fruit every year without fail - and a huge crop too. It always ripens.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 24-04-2019, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Mine fruit every year without fail - and a huge crop too. It always ripens.
              Mine fruits and ripens every year without fail, too. Ready in early October, usually.
              I don't get a very big crop, but that's mainly because it's in a pot and I probably don't water it enough, and also I think it's a small-fruited variety in the first place, rather than it being a weather thing.

Comment

When you buy a vine, the supplier will normally tell you to cut the vine back to one or two buds anyway. Im guessing this is for two reasons
                1- to allow the roots to put on growth first and
                2-so that you can control the new vine growth.

Im no expert though so....

Comment

Not sure what variety to recommend because although a hardy vine will grow in your area, the temperatures can have advers effects other than the fruit not ripening. Late hard frosts will kill the new buds and although the vine will put out secondary’s, cold weather during flowering will also cause problems. The only one I can find that might suit your conditions is Pirovano 14. Although this is a wine grape, the berries are large and it is a very early ripening variety.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X