Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus Plants v Crowns

Hey peeps
    I've seen in Suttons asparagus plants for sale as well as crowns. I think they are basically more developed crowns sent out late summer and that you can pick the following year. Has anyone tried these before, any difference? Are they worth the extra money? Whats te difference between getting a developed plant this summer and getting a crown now (as you wouldn't be able to pick this year but may be able to next year)
    Thoughts?

I think the crowns are the ones to get as they should produce spears the following year. The plants appear to be a younger version which should develop into crowns at the end of this year.
    I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Just taken a look. The normal crowns are 1 year old and the plants at Suttons are 2 year old and pretty expensive from what i can see. From Bob Flowerdew's web site:- "It is a waste of money getting older than one year old crowns as though these are bigger they are slower to establish"

Comment

Plants - you can start cutting the asparagus next spring. Crowns - you need to leave the shoots next spring and should cut on second spring after it is planted.

Comment

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
          Plants - you can start cutting the asparagus next spring. Crowns - you need to leave the shoots next spring and should cut on second spring after it is planted.
          Hey Selymbria, have you grown plants then instead of crowns? I wanted to hear from people who had bought plants so that i could hear some direct input xx

Comment

I've never seen these potted plants for sale before, but doubt they represent good value - you can get 10 crowns for the price of one potted plant. I can't see how you can pot asparagus in a 3 litre pot without constricting their roots anyway. 10 crowns planted in the right conditions will establish well and provide 10 times the crop... maybe you'll have to wait another year to get a decent picking, but you're not going to get many spears off 1 plant anyway, and buying 10 potted plants would cost a fortune!
            He-Pep!

Comment

I'd get some crowns as the plants in pots could be just a new hype to sell smaller plants to those who don't have much gardening knowledge, and you don't know if they've been grown in the pots or just re-planted.
              I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                I've never seen these potted plants for sale before, but doubt they represent good value - you can get 10 crowns for the price of one potted plant. I can't see how you can pot asparagus in a 3 litre pot without constricting their roots anyway. 10 crowns planted in the right conditions will establish well and provide 10 times the crop... maybe you'll have to wait another year to get a decent picking, but you're not going to get many spears off 1 plant anyway, and buying 10 potted plants would cost a fortune!
                I wasn't thinking to do the whole bed in plants, i was thinking a mixture so that i could at least get some next year while waiting for the others
                As my post said, i wanted to know if people had used plants before - rather than peoples opinions on the subject!

Comment

Well excuse me for offering an opinion! Just trying to help.
                  He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                    Well excuse me for offering an opinion! Just trying to help.
                    LOL i dont' mind opinions but i was hoping for experienced answers too haha xx

Comment

Hi emarisa28, I don't have personal experience but I shared an experts personal experience in an earlier post. He recommends 1 year old crowns. If you do go with 1 and 2 yr old please come back and share your experience.

Comment

I bought a plant last year (just the one, as noted, hideously pricey!) but it was to start filling in the no shows from the crowns! Most of them came up the previous year and then I suddenly seemed to lose a load last year. Am beginning to think I have a bit of a black thumb when it comes to asparagus though, so the plant may make no difference...we'll see!
                        If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Originally posted by w33blegurl View Post
                          I bought a plant last year (just the one, as noted, hideously pricey!) but it was to start filling in the no shows from the crowns! Most of them came up the previous year and then I suddenly seemed to lose a load last year. Am beginning to think I have a bit of a black thumb when it comes to asparagus though, so the plant may make no difference...we'll see!
                          Please do let me know what happens this year! You should technically get a crop shouldn't you? x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X