Herbs in a polytunnel - adfvice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbs in a polytunnel - adfvice please

I was thinking of growing some, parsley, basil and coriander in my polytunnel.
    I would welcome any comments from those who have done this - assuming they are suitable (the herbs - not the comments!).

Do I sow early and again later, with outdoor sowing(s) in between?

The only one I would grow in a polytunnel is Basil. Parsley can be started under cover and the planted outside. Coriander will bolt if given too much heat, so outside. Sow the parsley in the spring, coriander spring and autumn and Basil in the spring.

Hope that helps.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I grow parsley (Gigante) in my polytunnel all year round and it loves it, no need for multiple sowings. I sow thickly in March in a small tray , then prick out maybe 10 seedlings into 3 1ltr pots (i.e. 10 to a pot) until they're stronger, then plant the pots out in the tunnel bed. I'm still picking it now.
      Basil I've given up on, always tastes like sucking a 2p coin, must be the weather up here.
      Never tried growing coriander, but may give it a go this year.
      He-Pep!

Comment

I have failed with parsley for years and years... and it only works in the shade for me! All outdoors
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have flat leaf parsley self seeding in the garden but have trouble growing it in pots.

Comment

I grow my flat leaf parsley outdoors in flower buckets they're large enough to self seed in so when it gets a bit full I replant some into a new bucket.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I only grow Basil in the polytunnel. It a good companion for tomatoes. It's always done really well. I only sow once. I find if I let them get to a reasonable size before I take my first harvest. They grow back fine for more pickings.
              Parsley and coriander I start in the tunnel then plant out side.

Comment

Parsley, Mint, Basil all do well in my polytunnel, and Coriander is great in polytunnel over winter
                Death to all slugs!

Comment

I have a couple of parsley plants to overwinter in my polytunnel. If it’s a bad winter the protection really helps.
                  Coriander became a weed in my polytunnel.
                  Basil does well and in a bed the flavour seems much stronger than pot grown.
                  I stuck a small rosemary cutting in one raised bed and it grew like a triffid. I had to take it out as polytunnel space is really pretty precious. I also have a clump of chives which I’m keeping as they grow earlier than the ones outside and the flowers entice friendly bugs inside.
                  A sage plant and a thyme plant also outgrew their welcome and I just grow these outside now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X