Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kale covered in cabbage aphids - easiest (and safest) way to remove?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale covered in cabbage aphids - easiest (and safest) way to remove?

My kale has a persistent colony of cabbage aphids. It was just one leaf in the summer, and I kept crushing them and hosing them off, but now most leaves seem to have thousands and the previously healthy plant is starting to struggle and some leaves are wilting/becoming diseased.

I generally tend to garden organically. What's the safest yet effective method to remove them? Is there any kind of pesticide I can make using household stuff? Or pesticides which are generally considered somewhat organic/safe, yet still effective?

There are tends of thousands of these things now so I know a deterrent isn't going to work, they need to go.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Inastate; 10-12-2018, 01:02 PM.

I only tried in a couple of times but a smidge of homemade salad dressing (oragano, lavender, bay, what ever herbs that come to hand and garlic steeped in veg oil) in water and spray. Made a vast improvement.

If you want them off before eating then soak leaves in salted water.

Comment

My plot neighbour uses one of those hand held vacuum cleaners you can buy for corners/cars. Just goes round the brassica cage hoovering the underside of the leaves!

Comment

^Inspired. I might try that if they get out of control next year. Thanks.

Like the sound of your spray, too, NG.

Comment

Soapy water. Not to much soap though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X