Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Propelled Mower Stopped picking up grass.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Propelled Mower Stopped picking up grass.

Just tidying up today and thought a final cut was in order. Got out old trusty (re-badges Qualcast rotary mower) and it is not lifting grass properly. The stand-by - same make and model is working fine, so it is not just because the grass is a bit wet.

My 1st thought is that the blade is not sharp enough (which I'll address with winter service), and not the bag - swapped over. Any other quick tips before I strip it down.

Grass path is clear.

it's the passage of air caused by the rotating blade that should blow the cut grass and any debris you pass over into the collection bag/box. If the blade is blunt it won't cut properly but that shouldn't prevent anything that is cut being collected. My first instinct is to give the whole underside of the mower a good clean to remove any dried cuttings left over from previous use and finish with a good run with a stiff brush. Once the airway is clear, it should work properly.

Comment

Don’t forget to clean the collection bag/box as well and are sure all the vents on it are clear.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
        Don’t forget to clean the collection bag/box as well and are sure all the vents on it are clear.
        Thanks - Done - Bag cleaned and also Swapped bag. Not fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          it's the passage of air caused by the rotating blade that should blow the cut grass and any debris you pass over into the collection bag/box. If the blade is blunt it won't cut properly but that shouldn't prevent anything that is cut being collected. My first instinct is to give the whole underside of the mower a good clean to remove any dried cuttings left over from previous use and finish with a good run with a stiff brush. Once the airway is clear, it should work properly.
          Gave a rough clean, Not resolved. Will give it a good going over during winter service. I was thinking that it could be running slightly slower (when compared to other one). It is a self regulated B&S engine, so not much I can do there. Mr Giggle I think(s)

Thanks

Comment

Is the blade definitely spinning?
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Is the blade definitely spinning?
              Yes, it is cutting grass, but rather than going into the bag, it is collecting as mulch at rear L/H wheel. Going to be something silly.

Found a handy check list

https://www.lawnmowerfixed.com/grass...roubleshooting

Comment

Is there anything on the checklist about damage or wear to the blade? These blades are designed with part bevelled up

a) to cause air to move in the direction of the blade and b) to move the grass cuttings into the airstream and then into the collection bag/box.

if that bevelled part has worn or broken off or been damaged(eg straightened by impact with a stone or similar) it won't create the necessary stream of air and won't function properly.

Comment

Aberdeenplotter

Yes, it is looking more and more as a blade issue. Checked out the bag and the deck. Both look fine. The chute has a crack (caused by a stone) so it could be that or it could just be that the worn blade and moist grass didn't give enough lift.

What ever way, going to have to work on it to resolve.

Comment

okay some progress then. How about taking the blade of the other machine and fitting it to the faulty one. Stick some gaffer tape over the crack in the shute and then test drive. That should confirm your thoughts.

Comment

I too would go blade swap next to see if the problem moves to the other machine.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                        I too would go blade swap next to see if the problem moves to the other machine.
                        & Aberdeenplotter

You have both reminded me that I have a Qualcast 261651 blade in the shed. I'll fit it and give it a spin.

For anyone with a similar mower... this is the part number for a blade that fits the Aldi petrol mower. It will be on sale at any Hombase store that is closing down....
                        Last edited by 4Shoes; 20-11-2018, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Shoes View Post
                          & Aberdeenplotter

You have both reminded me that I have a Qualcast 261651 blade in the shed. I'll fit it and give it a spin.

For anyone with a similar mower... this is the part number for a blade that fits the Aldi petrol mower. It will be on sale at any Hombase store that is closing down....
                          Gave the spare blade a quick sharpen. checked balance and fitted. It is working. The original blade was bent slightly, so the crack in the chute was not the source of the problem, but still needs attention.
                          Last edited by 4Shoes; 21-11-2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X