Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do Chestnuts keep for?

this may be a "what's cooking thread" - please move if appropriate

We picked up some chestnuts on our holidays about a month ago, and have not got round to roasting them (on an open fire or otherwise - dammit, should have done that on the weekend). They were ripe (fell off the tree and bounced open) and in good condition. Any idea how long they might be OK for?

I may need to pickle them soon mightn't I?

I've bought bags of dried chestnuts for cooking. They're "skinned" ready to use.

Comment

I take it you've done nothing with them. Where are you keeping them? They have quite a high water content so don't last as long as other nuts. I understand they can be frozen although not sure what the texture of them is like sfterwards

Comment

Nothing at all, apart from put them in a brown paper bag out of direct sunlight.

Might have a look at one this week.

Has anyone ever pickled them?

Comment

Len Goodman was always on about pickled walnuts, perhaps he might know...…………..I'll get my coat.

Comment

Depends on how dry they were when picked and how dry conditions they have been stored in. Foreign ones will keep much longer because they generally come from countries with hot dry summers - UK grown ones are not as ripe and will often go mouldy in a few weeks.

Easy enough to tell - just eat a bit of one and if it tastes OK, you're good to go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X