Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with pumpkin flesh and seeds....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with pumpkin flesh and seeds....

Now is the season for carving pumpkins....and wondering how to use up the 'left overs'

Do please share your pumpkin recipes and what you do with the seeds etc!

I spotted this article about pumpkin salt and thought it worth sharing!

https://www.theguardian.com/food/201...e-not-tom-hunt

anyone tried this?

do please share your recipes etc!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I just make a big batch of spiced soup from mine, adding salt, cumin, coriander, paprika and garlic in small amounts - don't want it to turn into a hot curry sauce (although that's nice as well if you add more ) and freeze it in portions. So easy during winter to just zap some for lunch.
    Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 28-10-2018, 09:16 AM. Reason: spooling

Comment

I save seeds for next year and am slightly obsessed with pumpkin pie at the mo. Made a vegan one for a friend with coconut milk, it was -marginally- better than any before!

Comment

Although that reminds me of a sort of winter salad thing, pumpkin or squash roasted with spices (cumin, smoked paprika, whatever you like) then mixed with tinned lentils, spring onions, dressing made with soy, honey, fresh red chilli and olive oil, and tear mozzarella over the top. Mm. Might make that today

Comment

I've been searching for pumpkin recipes and came across this one. haven't tried it yet though.

Pumpkin & Apple Hummus

325g pumpkin
          4 cloves garlic
          400g tin chick peas, drained
          Juice of 1 lemon
          4 tablespoons tahini
          2 teaspoons salt
          Pinch cumin
          150ml apple juice
          4 tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to Gas 6 (200°C).
          Peel and deseed the pumpkin and chop into small chunks. Lay chunks on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and roast for 20 minutes until soft. Allow to cool.
          Place the pumpkin and all the other ingredients into a food processor and whizz until smooth and creamy. Add a little more apple juice if the mixture is too stiff.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

If you happen to have a couple of vultures in the garden, this is what you can do with leftover pumpkins
            https://twitter.com/HawkConservancy/...80047182241792
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

That's so sweet.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Of course they're not after the pumpkin. Only saying Muck Lover could have done with one the other day in his polytunnel

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I'll try roasting some pumpkin seed next time the oven is on. I generally put them in the compost but not keen doing this as I think rats are quite partial to them. The comments to the article say roasted, they are OK to eat without shelling.

I made a green thai curry with 1kg of a pumpkin which was/is very nice - but that still left me with 3/4 of it to freeze. So we have had curry now for 2 nights running and there is still plenty for tomorrow night. I've frozen several packs of pumpkin soup, given one away and still have a large one left. The variety, Muscade de Provance, stayed green but is very tasty nevertheless.

Comment

I love toasted pumpkin seeds - they go all crispy and crunchy and nutty in flavour. Delish! I think they're lovely crunched over a salad or on top of soup
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

This year, I have tried 4 different soup recipes.
                      All palatable, though I personally prefer pumpkin and ginger or spiced pumpkin over pumpkin and apple or pumpkin and nutmeg...

https://www.riverford.co.uk/cli/reci...d-pumpkin-soup

Second was based on this, but thinned with stock rather than milk as I prefer it that way ;-)
                      https://www.riverford.co.uk/cli/reci...in-ginger-soup

Comment

I have some roasted pumpkin seeds in my snack today. I roasted them in an oven at about 180C for too long (miscommunication - I shoved them in the empty top oven to dry and asked my wife to remove when she put the thing that was going in the top oven in. Instead, they got taken out when then thing in the top oven finished). I got away with it, they are just this side of burned and have a dark almost coffee-esque roasted taste.

As a result, they are quite an intense flavour, and I'll try to roast them a bit less next time.

but a definite recommendation to do them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X