Planting onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting onions

I have some autumn planting onions, but am unable to plant them just now, will they be ok to store till the spring?
    Last edited by burnie; 21-10-2018, 03:57 PM.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Originally posted by rary View Post
    I have some autism planting onions, but am unable to plant them just now, will they be ok to store till the spring?
    Predictive text playing tricks again - or is it old age.

I think they'll shrivel or sprout by spring.
    Can you start them in modules/trays then plant them out later on.

Comment

It is Autumn planting onions, can't edit above would be grateful if a Mod would correct
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Rary

Set up a few cellular trays with good organic compost and pop them in, one per module, leave in a light airy spot and let them start developing roots and shoots, then plant out in spring, otherwise you stand the chance they will either dry out and be of no use, or just get fungal rot, they are not gunna grow at a great rate of knots anyway now the days and light are shortening, but this will allow em to "Tick Over"
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Not me - I like it the way it is 'cos it makes me larf.

Comment

VC beat me to it!
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I should have known you would be about VC, guaranteed that if I make a mistake you are there

If I plant them in modules do I put them outside in the open or better covered with fleece?

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                VC beat me to it!
                But your advice was better, Deano.

Comment

Thanks Deano, as I have a number of 3in. pots I will plant them in that, I have compost that I used for growing potatoes would that be suitable, or should I use fresh compost

Comment

I think you would be ok using that, but to be honest, if it was me, I would use fresh, as you are then gunna have to move them on once they get a spurt in spring, so saving yourself a job!

Comment

Thanks burnie, just watch you don't get poked with a stick
                      Deano I will pot them up half and half, some in the old compost and some in New compost, and let you know how they compare

Comment

Burnie, you're making a rod for your own back, correcting rary's spelling. I'm tempted to change it back to "autism".

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                          Thanks Deano, as I have a number of 3in. pots I will plant them in that, I have compost that I used for growing potatoes would that be suitable, or should I use fresh compost
                          I was just about to suggest you plant in 3" pots rather than trays. Gives more compost which lets you keep them in pots longer and makes it easier to prevent your compost drying out. I would use fresh compost and would add some vermiculite which wil help retain moisture and also keep the compost open.

Once rooted and showing growth on top I would if the weather and soil conditions allow get them into the ground.

You are a wee bit earlier than me. I ordered some shakespeare sets but after paying it turned out they were out of stock and I had my money refunded to my paypal account. On Saturday however I got an email telling me my order has been despatched. A real head scratcher and I await delivery

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Burnie, you're making a rod for your own back, correcting rary's spelling. I'm tempted to change it back to "autism".
                            Just ignore that comment Burnie, after all the Vine need some kind Mods on it, as well as that kind
                            Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                            I was just about to suggest you plant in 3" pots rather than trays. Gives more compost which lets you keep them in pots longer and makes it easier to prevent your compost drying out. I would use fresh compost and would add some vermiculite which wil help retain moisture and also keep the compost open.

Once rooted and showing growth on top I would if the weather and soil conditions allow get them into the ground.

You are a wee bit earlier than me. I ordered some shakespeare sets but after paying it turned out they were out of stock and I had my money refunded to my paypal account. On Saturday however I got an email telling me my order has been despatched. A real head scratcher and I await delivery
                            Fresh compost and vermiculite, do you know how much that would cost
                            but thanks for the guidance, I have never tried planting onions in Autumn, just hope that they survive, I don't think the cold would be a problem but more concerned with the rain

Comment

If in pots, a hard frost that freezes them solid would be a problem. I lost some garlic like that one year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X