Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soil problems - seek guidance

Hi there!

I've done some soil tests today from various parts of garden and veg borders are all showing high alkalinity.

It's not too much of a problem however it does affect my root crops which need phosphorus such as bonemeal. However bonemeal adds calcium which increases it's pH level even further!

Therefore, could anyone please advise, how I fertilise my roots with phosphorus without increasing its alkalinity?

Could I, for example, prior to sowing, dig in sulfur, or sulphate of ammonia (to increase the acidity, together with some bonemeal (for the phosphorus)??

Thanks

You could try/apply a slow acting Sulphur product early next year (Granular Sulphur or Sulphur chips) to adjust ph before planting next season. Alchemy in it's purest form.

Comment

Some acidic like peat based compost to lower the alkalinity?

https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/n...able-database/
      Does this help?
      Taken from here...………..
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1600413
      Last edited by burnie; 21-10-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Urea, but it will add nitrogen and also hampers seed germination. So has to be spread well before you want to sow seeds. Then, when your plants are flowering/fruiting, add something that is P rich. I use hardwood ash, which has P and K.

Comment

How did you test your soil, please?

Comment

If you used those little kits you buy, don't trust the results. When you are PH testing you need to dry the soil first to get truer results

Comment

Gl, is litmus paper any good for testing the soil
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post

Not really. Litmus has 3 colours, red, blue and purple. Red indicates acid conditions, below pH 4.5, blue indicates alkaline conditions, above pH 8.3. The range between 4.5 and 8.3 shows as purple ("neutral"). Most if not all soils would fall in the purple range, and plants are much more sensitive than this to acid/alkaline conditions.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

The best results longer term are obtained by a thick layer of composted material and let nature sort it out. By next spring the soil will be ideal for pretty much anything. Top up with a more modest layer of composted mulch each year and enjoy the benefits.
                  Those that go No Dig have no problems with PH once the system is established and maintained. You don't even have to be completely no dig, but it helps.

Comment

Unless your soil tests deficient in phosphorous, I wouldn't bother adding bonemeal.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post

In my experience of using testing kits, litmus paper was easily the joint worst along with 2 prong tester things

Comment

Is the present Ph of the soil a problem?
                        As in what is it preventing you from doing?

Usually the answer is almost always the same: Dig in plenty of well rotted manure.
                        Seems the answer to:: soil too alkaline, soil too acidic, soil too heavy, soil too light.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                          Unless your soil tests deficient in phosphorous, I wouldn't bother adding bonemeal.
                          I just haven't been able to grow turnips in one particular border - all leaf and no bulbing of the root.

I sowed some late seeds in another border and now have small bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
                            It tested low in most of the garden..

Comment

Originally posted by Effy66 View Post
                              It tested low in most of the garden..
                              Was it tested by a laboratory or one of those home colour change kits? I am rather dubious of their reliability.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X