Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to try chillies next year

Evening All

As the title says, I am going to attempt to grow chillies next year, just a couple of plants.

Can someone please advise me of variety or two that's not too hot and suited to a novice chilly grower?

My first and so far only chillies were jalapenos. They’re often sold in supermarkets so you can taste one before you grow, to test the hotness.
    You might like this list of chillies in order of heat

https://www.chilliworld.com/factfile...rScovilleScale

Comment

I grew mild chillies this year as I was daunted by how hot the hot ones would be. They are tasty and I’m glad i grew them but I wish I’d also grown something with a little more heat.
      Next year I’ll be growing some hotter varieties as well as the milder ones!
      But flavour wise I’d recommend Trinadad perfume (almost heatless) and Havana Gold (very mild but more heat than the Trinidad)

Comment

Welcome to the slippery slopes GL
        I'd also recommend a jalapeño. And a basket of fire they stay nice and compact and produce masses of chillies.
        Heat is tricky because it depends on your personal heat tolerances.
        So you're jalapeño is around 10.000 Scoville and basket of fire is around 80.000 ( in the great scheme of things that's still not a hot chilli )

Comment

Almost forgot both easy to grow and both early to produce a crop.

Comment

I like ohnivec. If you don't want it hot eat it when it is green, it has a kick but doesn't burn in the green.

Comment

Main advantage you have is that most of the C.Annum(s) will grow outside and give a good crop where you are. If growing inside, perhaps look at smaller plants (Pot black) and hanging baskets (basket of fire) if space limited. Most will grow around 2' to 3'6" easily.

For a large (for chilli) pod
              Santa Fe Grande - Mild. Bit like the small sweet peppers (Tray of 5) with a slight kick. Lots of fruit. Good for a salsa.
              Numex Sandia - Similar size to Pointed Red Pepper with just a mild heat. I've used then in a green salad.

Pot Black / Hungarian Black - similar is heat to jalapeño., but have a lovely back pod before turning red. Down side - Lots of seeds and slightly thinner walls, Pot black small and compact compared with Hungarian.

Comment

I have never grown chillies but I too have been thinking of growing some next year, partly to use, but also partly because they make attractive plants, so I may join you, GL
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I tried some exotics and managed to either not germinate them or kill them, but De Cayenne have re-buffed all my clumsiness and provided us with nice warm chillies(Hungarian Hot Wax have also survived my attempts too).

Comment

I see some are breaching on the slippery slope, you'll be sorry as SP as rightly pointed out, and honestly, it does become an addiction!

But for your first attempt I would greatly advise first and foremost as Burnie said above, Hungarian hot wax, does have a little kick, but does provide fruits some 5 to 6 inch long, cut in half and filled with either goat cheese or cheese n chives, slightly roasted are just awesome.

Next would be the basic Cayenne, classed as a weed in the Chilli plant world, but still proves a real good "Doer"

Anaheim I would do, a little more heat, and as SP pointed out, in the scope of things, you are growing a chilli

And I'll tell ya what, for the first time this year and for reasons I not know, I grew a "Lemon Drop" this year, and although quite hot, will grow this from every year now on, the citruss flavour it kicks out is gorgeous and adds so much flavour in dishes!
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                      I have never grown chillies but I too have been thinking of growing some next year, partly to use, but also partly because they make attractive plants, so I may join you, GL
                      I'm not joining this one. At this very moment, I'm nibbling some Thai Sweet Chilli crisps and they're too hot for me.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I'm not joining this one. At this very moment, I'm nibbling some Thai Sweet Chilli crisps and they're too hot for me.
                        Eat some mint chocolate VC.. It calms the heat a lot better than drinking milk.

Comment

Will toothpaste do?
                          I don't have any mint chocolate and I don't drink milk anyway - Yukky stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Will toothpaste do?
                            I don't have any mint chocolate and I don't drink milk anyway - Yukky stuff.
                            Toothpaste quite possibly, but I've not tried.
                            With 100% on the milk thing. Horrible horrible stuff.

Comment

Completely agree with the milk comment - just nasty.

Chilli wise - enjoyed De Cayenne, easy to grow and good cropper. Habs are interesting due to their shapes, heat wise it’s difficult as what I find hot my other half wouldn’t class as hot, what he thinks is hot I think are nuclear!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X