Apple tree problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple tree problem

Hi I’m new to this site, this is my first post. I accidentally snapped a branch on my apple tree and found in the break site what looks like reddish brown spheres about 1cm in size, lots of them and brown liquid. Also similar on the floor underneath. Thinking something got in there and weakened it, any ideas what it might be and how i treat it?
    I have some photos but can’t see how to post them here TIA

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
    What diameter is the branch? I'd be tempted to cut it back cleanly to new wood. Someone who knows more than me will be along soon.

You may not be able to post photos on here until you've made a few more posts. Its one of the "privileges" that are set up for established members. Keep posting.

Comment

I agree with VC - cut it back to clean coloured wood with either secateurs or a sharp knife. If you have other pruning to do sterilize your cutting tool with boiling water after after doing the diseased branch.

PS sounds like canker BTW

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Hi and welcome to the Forum.
        What diameter is the branch? I'd be tempted to cut it back cleanly to new wood. Someone who knows more than me will be along soon.

You may not be able to post photos on here until you've made a few more posts. Its one of the "privileges" that are set up for established members. Keep posting.
        Thanks veggiechicken, the branch is about 4-6 inc across, it snapped at the trunk revealing a hole full of these reddish brown nodules and liquid, the pellets on the floor are soft and look like chewed up wood when I squashed them. The tree looks really healthy otherwise

Comment

Is this the type of issue you have ?. Its roughly what i have done on lot smaller wound, right or wrongly, but I never take the sealer from one wound to the next as seems to defeat the tool sterilisation pre hand. I did read canker likes acid soil so have added some lime at least as wide as the branch circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7G7Cuox7E

On another note do any of the experts on here paint thier fruit tree trunks white to reduce sunscald bark splitting ?

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
            Is this the type of issue you have ?. Its roughly what i have done on lot smaller wound, right or wrongly, but I never take the sealer from one wound to the next as seems to defeat the tool sterilisation pre hand. I did read canker likes acid soil so have added some lime at least as wide as the branch circle.

On another note do any of the experts on here paint thier fruit tree trunks white to reduce sunscald bark splitting ?
            I'd advise against painting the bark of a fruit tree - used to be popular with some people in the old days, mostly because of the look I reckon.
            Splits in the bark can sometimes be a problem, one "cure" I have used is to take a sharp knife, push the point in to the bark on the North side of the tree near the ground, then run it vertically up the trunk slitting the bark. The callus which forms as this wound is healed by the tree seems to form a barrier against canker on the slit parts - works on branches too - its not a cure for wood which is already diseased, just a preventative.
            Last edited by nickdub; 16-10-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Update on Apple tree problem

Just thought I’d post an update on my tree which had the red pellets and liquid inside after the branch snapped.
              As advised I started cutting out the damaged wood, it was tracking up inside the trunk, which is only slim dwarf type. My French neighbour came and sprayed it, said it would be fine and to leave it. I wasn’t convinced so i carried on, and on, and on!! Finally after cutting a channel about a foot long, there was a big fat grub!! Round headed wood borer apparently.

Comment

Bringiton, thank you for posting the solution, well done for your persistance

Nickdub, thank you for the, as always, very useful information

Comment

You're v. welcome - missed the pellets information due to sloppy reading of the post, so didn't make the connection with grub damage - worth checking other trees nearby, as insect pests rarely deal in 1 off's.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X