X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions - shade and plants together

hello

been thinking about next year
    1) what veg likes/will tolerate shade best? I have a high hedge on one side (approx. East) of my plot that restricts light to one bed, so I'm wondering what will grow least badly in it.

2) is there is reason not to plant peas and beetroots in the same beds? (I have 1.2m wide beds and am thinking of doing a fence of chicken wire in the middle for two rows of peas, then beetroot on the outsides. I should be able to reach over them to pick the peas.

Most vegetables apart from the real sun lovers like tomatoes, courgettes and peppers will tolerate partial shade well. In very shady beds you can still grow useful crops of most brassicas, potatoes and carrots. Yields and individual plants will be smaller.

I can't think of any reason not to grow beetroot next to peas. The only problem might be if the peas cast a lot of shade, as beetroot is one of the crops that prefers plenty of sun.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks Penners!

(I didn't know beetroot was that much of a sun-lover. May explain why mine didn't do so well this year, next to the raspberry canes)

Comment

I grew potatoes in a shady spot on my plot this year and they did way better than those planted in full sun - much bigger tubers and zero scab. I'm guessing they enjoyed the respite from the extreme dry weather we had.
        He-Pep!

Comment

I have beetroot growing between CFBs (north side) and climbing squash (south side), with a pallet fence on the west side and a line of trees and hedgerow casting shade over much of the area to the south.
          Best beetroot ever this year.

Comment

Quite happy to be wrong about beetroot - mine planted in the sun at the allotment are immensely better than attempts at home in the shade.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I think the extra hours of sun we've had this summer helped mine along.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                I think the extra hours of sun we've had this summer helped mine along.
                I think the warmth and sun helped a lot of things along. With only this unusual year to go on, its making planning what to do next year at home and at the allotment really difficult.

Comment

I find brassicas don't bolt as quickly if they have some shade. This year I grew sugar snap peas with beetroot on one side and they did very well. I think if you don't have masses of room or parts of your plot get shade sometime during the day, just give it a go. Peas shouldn't shade your beetroot too much and might even protect them if it gets very hot.
                  I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

I put a rhubarb and some leaf in the shady spot I have under a tree. Grew fine although the slugs and snails are a big fan of that area.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X