Growing Elephant garlic from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Elephant garlic from seed

Elephant garlic is normally grown from the cloves/bulbils at the base but, has anyone grown it from seed?

I may have done it unintentionally as there were some young EGs growing outside the permanent EG bed but I'm not 100% sure.

Given that EGs are part of the leek family and leeks are grown from seed, it should work but take longer to form usable cloves.

If the EG flower heads survive all this rain, I shall be experimenting

I've never seen elephant garlic seeds for sale, but if I do come across them, I'll try that too! I don't like the prices of elephant garlic in the seed catalogues!
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Seeds available here
      Allium ampeloprasum var. ampeloprasum --- Rareplants.eu Shop

My ellies are in full bloom at the moment as well so I'll have to see if I get seed from them and if so I'll join you.

Strangely enough my babingtons are in bloom. One lot has the usual bulbils but the other doesn't have any and just flowers. I'll see if they produce seed as well.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hi VC. Are you sure you actually have small black seeds and not small bulbils at the top of the garlic scape?

If they are actually seeds I would be very interested in the outcome of your experiment.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'll have a look when the rain stops

Comment

I’m sure they get seeds...but I’ve just looked at one in the shed and there isn’t any to be seen and it’s pouring down and I’m not going up to the top of the garden!

This blog is worth a read :
            Garlic Analecta: Growing Garlic From True Seed

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Hi VC. Are you sure you actually have small black seeds and not small bulbils at the top of the garlic scape?

If they are actually seeds I would be very interested in the outcome of your experiment.
              VC's on about Elephant Garlic rather than regular garlic. I've had Elephant Garlic produce bulbils before - once when it was under stress (in a pot irregularly watered) and also when I shaved the flowers.

Usually I harvest and eat the scapes but the ones in the permenant patch have a few flowers so I'll let them to it.

The seed isn't ripe yet - when does leek seed ripen - I remember the bulbils were ready in November.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                VC's on about Elephant Garlic rather than regular garlic. I've had Elephant Garlic produce bulbils before - once when it was under stress (in a pot irregularly watered) and also when I shaved the flowers.

Usually I harvest and eat the scapes but the ones in the permenant patch have a few flowers so I'll let them to it.

The seed isn't ripe yet - when does leek seed ripen - I remember the bulbils were ready in November.
                From what I have read Elephant garlic doesn't have seeds only bulbils. Leek seed usually matures in either October or November depending on variety methinks. Yes I did realise it was elephant garlic VC was dealing with.
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  I’m sure they get seeds...but I’ve just looked at one in the shed and there isn’t any to be seen and it’s pouring down and I’m not going up to the top of the garden!

This blog is worth a read :
                  Garlic Analecta: Growing Garlic From True Seed
                  Brilliaant article Scarlet

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The rain stopped.................but my camera battery ran out after 2 photos

Perennial Leek with bulbils

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0187.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2380862

Elephant Garlic flower head

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0188.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2380863

The EG looks identical to the normal leek flower heads that I couldn't photograph.

Comment

That's how mine look.

Looks like it's working on the seeds now.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I would put paper bag over it secured at the stem, to catch the seeds when they ripen. I believe that EG is actually a leek and not a garlic? If so, the seed head looks much like a leek seed head and should produce lots of seeds!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X