Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covering paths with weed membrane

Hi all,

I've been reading along but rarely posting this summer. They haven't yet tired of me down at the allotment, so I'm hoping to improve on my meager progress for next year.

I purchased some woven weed membrane to cover my allotment paths. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on whether or not they cover the membrane with something else (wood chips, etc) or leave as is. Also, I'm wondering if there are tips for edging between the path and beds to minimize the creep of weeds in that area. The plot is on clay-based soil and the paths have couch grass at the moment.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I would cover with woodchip, as I think the shiny black plastic looks ugly and inorganic.
    He-Pep!

Comment

I'd cover to make sure I didn't go a over t in the wet.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Cut the sheets with a soldering iron or hot knife otherwise they will fray and come apart. Take a look at Alans Allotment: Planting Membrane
        Last edited by Cadalot; 20-09-2018, 10:16 AM.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

On my previous plot I had the paths covered with the woven stuff, with no bark etc on top and managed not to fall over It works, although I found thick bindweed roots running along under it when I moved a path. Something to bear in mind if you do go for it..
          Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 20-09-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I use non-woven membrane covered in woodchip (or old compost bags covered in woodchip), this seems to work. The only problems are
            1) it gets soggy as it's non-permeable
            2) some animal is determined to dig it up

I have used a bit of porous stuff and the marestail grows through it.

Comment

Here's a thought. You say you have clay soil? Tiles are made from clay. Use a 'weed wand' or Sheen gun and bake the surface! This should kill any weeds and create a sold surface to walk on.

As you were.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Here's a thought. You say you have clay soil? Tiles are made from clay. Use a 'weed wand' or Sheen gun and bake the surface! This should kill any weeds and create a sold surface to walk on.

As you were.
                An added advantage is you then have a legitimate reason to wander round the plot with a flame thrower

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                  a legitimate reason to wander round the plot with a flame thrower
                  Wondering if the council would see it that way...

We've tried leaving them uncovered. They're baked solid in the summer, which the weeds don't mind at all, and slick and squishy in the wet weather. I might try layering something else under the membrane to prevent growth. I think wood chip sounds like a good idea, but I'll have to price it and decide when I have the physical wherewithal to move it about. (I'm incubating a small human just now, expected in Jan, so will be limited on a couple of fronts until at least spring next year.) I'll worry about getting the membrane pinned down first.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

As you were.
                    Snadger on my first plot half had been covered with plastic from blow-a-ways, carpet, tarps etc. and when removed was like polished concrete I had to take a pick axe to it because I could not get a fork into it. the bind weed grew over it even that could not get into it.
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X