Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundrying tomatoes?

Hi all

I have a glut of tomatoes. How easy is it to sundry tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse and should I bother. I have tons of Principe borghese and lots of other varieties.

If you don't recommend sundrying any other recommendations?

Anna

Probably last month it was warm enough but at the moment it is a bit cloudy. They could well go bad before drying now, particularly if there are any fruit flies about. I've seen several contraptions on the internet for drying vegetables and fruit but, without heat, they are usually for far hotter climates than ours.

I preserve them in 1kg kilner jars (not cheap now) - skinning and heating to close to boiling. I didn't use to but now I add a little lemon juice to ensure they are acidic to be on the safe side (to avoid botulism!). The jars have to be hot to avoid breaking when they are filled quickly. I have accumulated about 50 jars over the last few years and don't buy tinned now. Probably about 1.3kg of fresh tomatoes gives me a 1kg jar after skinning and heating.

I have frozen them as well in the past. When they have just started to thaw when using, the skin comes away quite easily. They are then Ideal to add to any cooked dish particularly curries, chilli con carne etc,

Comment

roast them and freeze. If cherry varieties roast whole otherwise cut into wedges ad load up a shallow overnproof dish. Drizzle well with garlic infused oil. Season with rough sea salt and roast until the skin starts to char in a hot oven. 220 or so.

At this stage, I usually attack with some chunks of crusty bread(I'm almost drooling at the thought) but if you can resist that. allow to cool then freeze for later use. Did I say that was so yummy?

The recipe is not mine, it came from Sarah Don - Monty's wife, in an article in another mag many years ago.
      Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 24-08-2018, 06:39 PM. Reason: Roast has an s in it

Comment

AP that's what I do with my toms and they do taste good
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I used to bottle loads, now I roast with garlic and freeze and like AP lots get eaten before getting bagged and frozen. I usually roast with lots of herbs, plenty of rosemary or basil. I often add in sliced onions and peppers and bag up ready for a quick chilli/spaghetti Bol ready for a speedy dinner.

If you haven’t got the freezer space and you want to follow Marks advice here’s an easy canning guide here. Once filled the jars can be boiled in any large preserving pan or saucepan. I put a tea towel in the bottom to stop the jars rattling against each other.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to...oes-p2-2216509

You can also roast with lots of oil and fill in hot jars and top with oil. This will only keep for a week and has to be fridged- note Marks point on botulism.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...matoes-recipes
          Last edited by Scarlet; 16-08-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            roat them and freeze. If cherry varieties roast whole otherwise cut into wedges ad load up a shallow overnproof dish. Drizzle well with garlic infused oil. Season with rough sea salt and roast until the skin starts to char in a hot oven. 220 or so.

At this stage, I usually attack with some chunks of crusty bread(I'm almost drooling at the thought) but if you can resist that. allow to cool then freeze for later use. Did I say that was so yummy?

The recipe is not mine, it came from Sarah Don - Monty's wife, in an article in another mag many years ago.
            I do as above but add some seasoning, onion, sprigs of thyme and thyme leaves when roasting; then remove the sprigs, blitz in a blender and put thru a sieve or similar and voila, home made passata..
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

You might find putting them in your car will speed things up... Don't drive off with a tray of toms slipping and sliding about, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
                I do as above but add some seasoning, onion, sprigs of thyme and thyme leaves when roasting; then remove the sprigs, blitz in a blender and put thru a sieve or similar and voila, home made passata..

I rarely use thyme - almost always rosemary and basil- just never have luck with thyme or lemon thyme which I love with fish. Tried in the ground ( heavy clay soul that gets water logged in the winter) and I’ve also tried several lots in pots. They die every year and if they don’t I have long strands missing most of its leaves.

Comment

We just lay cherry toms on a baking tray and freeze them whole. Next day bag um up. Use as and when.
                  Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    AP that's what I do with my toms and they do taste good
                    Forget to say that I add oregano and a fair bit of garlic to my toms and olive oil. I'm roasting some this afternoon while the ovens on.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have just found some pots to freeze some in so will roast first and the liquidise and freeeze with a bit of garlic and onion

Comment

I bought a dehydrator last year and sowed half a doxen or so of the same tom you have mid may, their doing ok.
                        some have now replaced ....anyway, waffling lol, gonna try dehydrating and jarring in olive oil and garlic etc,

Comment

^Potential risk of botulism unless you store them in the fridge from the time you make them. Shelf life (as recommended in the States, where they're admittedly cautious) is three weeks only. Well worth checking it out. Safest thing is dehydrate, store and then rehydrate and add oil and other condiments prior to use.

Maybe you know all this already and I certainly don't want to be a party pooper, but I do want to see you carry on posting.

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                            I bought a dehydrator last year and sowed half a doxen or so of the same tom you have mid may, their doing ok.
                            some have now replaced ....anyway, waffling lol, gonna try dehydrating and jarring in olive oil and garlic etc,
                            Plus 1 to what Snoop Puss says jackarmy. Olive oil and garlic are no preservative for keeping toms sorry. If you've done them then keeping in the fridge will be ok for a couple of months but stuck on a shelf is a No No... As I'd also like to see you keep posting x

Comment

Ah, thanks both, no i didnt know that snoop. Would have looked more into it if the toms het anywhere but thanks for a massive heads up.
                              So dehydrate, store ( how , airtight jar ? ) then rehydrate by adding dwr ( water ) and into oil etc, bit of swatting to do then

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X