Mini Sweet Pepper glut...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Sweet Pepper glut...

Looking for alternative ideas to make the most of these little sweet beauties...

It looks like planting 3 plants to a 30lit pot, I have 6 x 30lit pots! of them, in order to get some early ripened sweet peppers paid dividends

I couldn't be more pleased with the results considering the lovely warm weather we've had early on in the season...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	13th aug 2018 Mini red peppers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2406546

Picked yesterday 101 mini sweet peppers...

Name:	13th Aug 2018 Mini red peppers picked 101.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2406547

They just keep coming at the moment...

Wow. I'm lucky to get half a dozen sweet bell peppers off each plant.

Comment

Plants and peppers look wonderful Which variety are they, I might grow them next year?

Comment

Peppers freeze well, so you could chop some and freeze for later. I like them in sauces with tomatoes, or on a pizza. They also make a nice blended soup with tomatoes, onions and courgettes.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I didn't read your post properly I was so mesmerised by all of the peppers!

-roast,grill,fry,bbq
          -stuff with rice and herbs or whatever you fancy
          -salads
          -ratatouille
          -pepper,paneer cheese, onion stir fry with spices
          -add to noodle stir fry
          -add to a morning fry up
          - pepper and potatoe cooked with spices

Can you tell I love peppers
          Last edited by chillithyme; 14-08-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

I use mine for preserves usually...pickled, sauce or jam, or for adding bulk in chutney ( add in some hot ones for a kick
            They also freeze well roasted as well as raw.

Comment

Wow, that's an incredible harvest. Congratulations! No suggestions from me, though, sorry.

Comment

Stuffed with a softish cheese. Either a plain or blue variety. Very addictive as a snack in front of a good film.
                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Nothing to add on the usage, but great harvest, they look amazing! Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
                    Wow. I'm lucky to get half a dozen sweet bell peppers off each plant.
                    These were mini ones Scoot, last year I grew monster sweet peppers and then suddenly realised I don't really get a long season to grow them. It was end of Aug/Sept before I had any ripe enough to pick so this year I decided mini was the way to go... The nice weather early on in the season had something to do with quantity I'm sure !

Comment

Originally posted by chillithyme View Post
                      I didn't read your post properly I was so mesmerised by all of the peppers!

-roast,grill,fry,bbq
                      -stuff with rice and herbs or whatever you fancy
                      -salads
                      -ratatouille
                      -pepper,paneer cheese, onion stir fry with spices
                      -add to noodle stir fry
                      -add to a morning fry up
                      - pepper and potatoe cooked with spices

Can you tell I love peppers
                      Lol... Me as well chillithyme, I adore them !... They were a £1 packet of Wilko peppers, mini sweet was the description...

Comment

So Lunchtime I started on the 'glut'

I split the peppers in half lengthwise and cut out the seeds, It didn't take as long as I thought it would!

Name:	15th Aug 2018 Mini peppers deseeded .jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2380112

This is what I cut out, love this pic, green, red and white, healthy plants and look at all those seeds!

Name:	15th Aug 2018 Mini peppers what's left.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2380113

This is my biggest roasting pan it 16x11" and 1.5" deep, I filled the pan with peppers and added some sliced garlic and salt and pepper. I covered the whole tray with tinfoil and roasted in my gas oven at gas mark 5, one shelf down from the top for 1.5hrs

Name:	15th Aug 2018 Mini peppers ready to roast.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2380114

The result was a whole tray of roasted peppers where the skins just came away...

Name:	15th Aug 2018 Mini peppers after roasting.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2380115

Comment

So today I made roasted sweet pepper and tomato chutney, roasted red peppers which filled 4 takeaway boxes and also a tray of sweet pepper puree for use in bolognese, chilli etc... I don't have a pic of that as it's still in the freezer.

Name:	15th Aug 2018 Mini peppers end result.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2380116

I actually managed to fill the roasting tray again today from the peppers I'd picked a few days before. Excellent quality seeds from Wilko's... I'm now going to chop them raw and freeze, incorporate some more into tomato, garlic, basil sauce which I will 'can' and the rest are currently being scoffed by friends and family. At the moment whenever I say I have some mini sweet peppers spare, they don't refuse... They don't do that when I offer courgettes... pah !!!

Comment

The photos of roasting and sauces are fab.I'm adding the wilko peppers to my seed list!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthgirl Jen View Post
                              These were mini ones Scoot, last year I grew monster sweet peppers and then suddenly realised I don't really get a long season to grow them. It was end of Aug/Sept before I had any ripe enough to pick so this year I decided mini was the way to go... The nice weather early on in the season had something to do with quantity I'm sure !
                              What were they called these mini ones you have so many of?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X