Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying a weed please

Hi all,
    While clearing my new allotment I've come across a few of these, would any of you kind folks be able to help me identify it please

Untitled by James Saunders, on Flickr
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    - Sir Terry Pratchett, Diggers

sigpic As nutty as a fruitcake. Mmmmmmm cake.

https://blog.wizards-tower.co.uk

Looks like Comfrey so cherish it.

Comment

I'd say comfrey too.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks both!

There's quite a lot of it at the back half of my plot, I know it's good to use as a compost activator but what other uses does it have? VeggieChicken you said to cherish it, is it that good a plant?

Sorry for all the newbie questions!

*hastily goes to the forum search function*
        The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Comment

I quickly dug mine out as it seemed to be growing too quickly, had loads of deep woody roots, and looked like becoming a thug.

Moved it to wild part of garden. Must have a look to see if still there.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I've just been reading up on Comfrey. Wow what a plant! I'm going to try and move these into their own bed from around my plot and keep them going. Have looked up about building a comfrey pipe to harvest the goodness too.

So much fun!

Comment

If you move them there's a very good chance that you'll end up with 2 patches of comfrey as you'll be unlikely to get all the roots out and they grow back from the smallest root cuttings. Where ever you move them to make sure you want them for good as they are quite a bit of work to eradicate one they're established.

Great for composting, mulching and liquid feed. With that and your riddles I would expect you to find a compost bin or two on the plot.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jimothy1275 View Post
                I've just been reading up on Comfrey. Wow what a plant! I'm going to try and move these into their own bed from around my plot and keep them going. Have looked up about building a comfrey pipe to harvest the goodness too.

So much fun!
                If you do move them, as had been said, its likely that the bits of root left behind will regrow. If you wish to prevent this you either need a JCB to dig a really big hole or more practically you'll need to buy some sort of herbicide like stump root killer which can be packed on the tops of the left behind roots to kill them off. You used to be able to get products based on ammonia sulphamate which did the job and had the merit of degrading into a harmless substance, but I'm not sure if there is any still available to buy now.

PS for the pieces being put in the new spot, cut most of the leaves off before planting, so that the top and bottom balance.

Comment

Thanks both, Hmmm, ok maybe moving them probably isn't the best idea then. They seem to be contained in one part of the plot but I don't think the previous plot owners would have planted them where they are now. I'm going to leave them in place when clearing and decide what to do afterwards.

Comment

no worries - apart from the fact that comfrey leaves are useful for fertiliser they are convenient in other ways. They don't spread by runners and don't self-seed (in the Bocking 14 incarnation) so tend to stay put - you can grow new plants from root cuttings at any time of year and they can help stabilize loose soil - I gown mine on a rough bank where it would be awkward to cultivate other plants, and they also help suppress weeds there. They are also drought resistant which may be useful in future years.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                      I quickly dug mine out as it seemed to be growing too quickly ... looked like becoming a thug.
                      Common comfrey is, as it self seeds everywhere.
                      Bocking 14 is your friend: it only spreads by root cutting (which is what you do if you attempt to dig it out). Its deep roots bring nutrients up from the soil into its leaves, which you then harvest for mulching or for rotting in a (lidded, please) container of water, to then use as a high K liquid feed
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X