My tomatilla plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My tomatilla plant

Hi everyone. From recent expedience searching online, I can see that many ask the same questions and the same answers are given - usually around the need for two tomatilla plants.
    When I bought my plant, there were two in the same pot. Trouble is, when only a very few flowers were present, strong winds snapped one of the plants. Without really knowing of the need to have two plants, I tried to transfer some pollen from a couple of flowers from the broken plant to the new. I then threw the broken one away.
    Fast forward to now, many weeks later, I have a thriving plant, 3 to 4 feet high with tons of flowers and 'bbaskets'. Now, I was vefy pleasantly surprised when one of the very first baskets had a fruit growing in it, I thought I had got lucky from the tiny bit of hand pollination I had done between plants. I expected maybe 2-3 fruits at the very best, as that was roughly the number of flowers present on this plant while I had two plants still.
    The reality is, EVERY basket has fruit in it.
    I very much doubt there are any othrr tomatillas anywhere near me, and I thought that each flower would need pollinating by a flower from another plant. Am I wdong? Is it only the initial pollination of one or two flowefs from another plant that is required for all future flowers to produce fruit?

Originally posted by Stu KE View Post
    Is it only the initial pollination of one or two flowefs from another plant that is required for all future flowers to produce fruit?
    Well your last postulation is definitely wrong - flowers need to be pollinated individually if they are to produce fruit. My guess is that these plants are self-fertile, though I don't know that for a certainty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X